Faded but Charming Old Jug, Any Ideas?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by RogerRoger, Dec 12, 2017.

1. RogerRoger

RogerRoger New Member

Found this piece at an estate sale and immediately loved it. Jug is painted but the garden scene (I’m fairly certain) is print. No marks on bottom except for what seems to be a year “1946”. Could be wrong. Enjoy antiques but know very little about pottery! I believe it might have been something mass produced but can’t find something quite like it. Please help : )
    840A564F-8854-4F03-B126-17FE8137E4A1.jpeg 3B05758B-88A9-496B-B21A-B73544925899.jpeg
    2E1EBC25-4DEB-4249-8AD3-C6C575DB2B5C.jpeg

2. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

The number is a mold number. I would look at Austria, ewers, maybe add portrait to the search. worthpoint.com is a good place to look.

RogerRoger and Bakersgma like this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome.
    The picture is most likely a transfer. If you use a magnifying glass, you will most likely see little dots. That indicates a tranfer. Sometimes you will see dots and brush strokes. So the transfer would have been hand colored. Other times you will see no dots, only brush strokes, that indicates a hand painted design.

As Janet said Austria is the most likely country of origin. 1946 is the pattern number not the year.

Your ewer is Art Nouveau, so late 1800s.

RogerRoger and Bakersgma like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted