Featured Faberge or not Faberge that is the question

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Sdcookie2, Sep 3, 2023.

1. Sdcookie2

Sdcookie2 Well-Known Member

Hiya all, I don't know squat about Russian marks. The translation states Faberge. Can anyone enlighten me please. PXL_20230904_011831197_copy_907x1612.jpg PXL_20230904_011838866_copy_907x1612.jpg PXL_20230904_012019567_copy_907x1612.jpg PXL_20230904_012019567~2_copy_797x907.jpg PXL_20230904_012032207_copy_907x1612.jpg Screenshot_20230903-181534_copy_345x768.png

laura9797, judy and IvaPan like this.
  2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Translation ...

К.ФАБЕРЖЕ
    МОСКВА
    О. ВЕТЕРБУРГЪ ОДЕССА

C. FABERGE
    MOSCOW
    O. VETERBURG ODESSA

(O. VETERBURG may be St. Petersburg)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2023
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Think that may be C, not O, which would be consistent with St. Petersburg.

laura9797, judy, IvaPan and 1 other person like this.
  4. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 3, 2023
    laura9797, judy, IvaPan and 1 other person like this.
  5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

That box doesnt look right to me,and that silver has an off color that is concerning.There is more fake Faberge than real anymore. I hope you didnt pay a lot.

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The mark on the cup itself looks all wrong. Not that I know jack about Russian marks, but I can't imagine the Faberge factory half-a**ing the job like that. If they did it, they'd have left no doubt.

judy, kyratango, IvaPan and 1 other person like this.
  7. Sdcookie2

$2

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

You did OK. :jawdrop::p:p:p

judy, kyratango, IvaPan and 2 others like this.
  9. Sdcookie2

I am thinking it is someone who worked under Faberge

judy and Bronwen like this.
  10. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

When I was in St. Petersburg, I went to the Faberge museum. They actually had the first egg, as well as the last one. I saw a lot of Faberge pieces - room after room with a huge variety of items. Compared to what I saw, this appears to be somewhat crude, but it's not like I am an expert or anything.

IvaPan, pearlsnblume, judy and 4 others like this.
  11. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Like johnny, I also have real doubts about the authenticity of the piece. The box is intended to go for Faberge but the inscription is wrong, that's why Google translate cannot translate it. As Bronwen said, it should be St. Petersburg but both S (Cyrillic C) and P (Cyrillic П) are wrongly depicted.

Also as Ruth said, the marking on the cup itself is unlikely to be done by/for Faberge which was absolutely uncompromising regarding their quality of everything, including packaging and marking their stuff, no matter who produced the items - they used to subcontract many jewelers but the requirements were just as strict as for their own employees.

Apart from the above, the mark on the cup is a 84 золотник zolotnik mark which means 875 silver (84/96), and the kokoshnik mark is the one for 1898-1908, although the assayer's mark should be shown at the back of the kokoshnik head (which is not well struck and thus not visible). Also the makers mark is there, presumably ИП.

By the way, original Faberge boxes are sold for hundreds of dollars each, as they are collectible on their own, but also many fakers also need them and are ready to pay a lot. This one is poorly made, though.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2023
    Figtree3, komokwa, Bronwen and 6 others like this.
  12. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

It should definitely be "C" and "П" which stands for "Санкт (С.) Петербург", the name of the city.

In the link below there is a Faberge box for reference

Коробка Фаберже - Антиквариат - SAMMLER.RU

I found information on how Faberge marked and packaged their items, it is in Russian, though, the main points are:

- the item itself (in this case the cup) should bear (apart from the silver kokoshnik mark, and the makers name), also the name of Faberge (either long or short version, depending if it was done in Moscow or Petersburg), and also to bear the imperial two-headed eagle. And also the city mark - Moscow or Peterburg. I.e. there should have been much more marks on the cup, as it has large surface and they can fit:

For reference:

Поставщики Российского Императорского Двора. Фирма Карла Фаберже. Часть третья - Торговая площадка ANTIQON

Last edited: Sep 4, 2023
    Figtree3, komokwa, Bronwen and 6 others like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Absolutely. And most fakes are better quality than this. The engraver had one glass too many of his favourite tipple.;)

komokwa, Bronwen, johnnycb09 and 5 others like this.
  14. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

When is an egg not an egg? When un ouef is un ouef.

15. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Ce n'est pas un oeuf.

upload_2023-9-4_18-40-34.jpeg

reader, Potteryplease, IvaPan and 4 others like this.
  16. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

I believe he had a brother or son or some family member who was silversmith. A possible explanation for Fabergé marked silver that doesn’t look like Fabergé work. Definitely not saying that’s the case here but just something I recall coming upon once. Something is probably fishy as others said though. The mark kind of resembles that of Fabrege’s most well known work master. Which isn’t good if it’s not on amazing work. 2A5FE3B5-93BC-44B7-92FB-0185351565C4.jpeg

17. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Carl Faberge was a son a jeweller, Gustav Faberge, Estonian immigrant and French descendant. Carl himself had 4 sons who were jewellers, but his company had a number of great masters of silver working for him, either as direct employees or as (kind of) subcontractors. He was very flexible towards accommodating others' craft into his trademark, the only absolute requirement being extreme quality. No compromise with quality was allowed to anyone. The employees in his workshops (there were several workshops in Moscow, Petersburg, Odessa) worked from 8 h to 23 h every day but enjoyed immense salaries and had numerous benefits as long as they complied with quality standards of the company. Tough but very honest and rewarding employer. Died in 1920 in exile, one of his sons tried and failed to continue the company in exile, too. Apparently without the mighty back of the Russian emperor it was difficult to operate. There is a lot about him and his whereabouts online .

Although gaining worldwide fame with eggs, Faberge produced many other types of jewellery including amazingly intricate and beautiful silverware. One example in a Russian museum, that same extraterrestrial fish from the other topic, made as an ashtray
    http://museum.ru/alb/image.asp?111106
    B.t.w., the caption says it is a dolphin :playful:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2023
    Any Jewelry likes this.
  18. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

I don' think the mark here resembles Michail Perkhin's (or Perchin) initials, the second letter indeed looks like П (P) but the first one does not look like М tо mе, more like И (I) Apart from that, the quality of this cup is an offence for the name of Michail Perchin.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2023
    Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  19. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

:joyful:
    Ditto.

IvaPan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted