F Bartolozzi stipple print of Lesbia and her sparrow after Sir Joshua Reynolds - what is it worth?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Tracylou, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Tracylou

Tracylou Member

• image2.JPG Hi, I bought this in a job lot and have realised that not only is it old (1783) it has three good names Bartolozzi - the engraver, after a painting by Sir Joshua Reynolds about a work by Byron, but even the National Art Museum only has the later black and white version. I can find no other commercially available copy on the net. This leaves me with the question - what is it worth? If anyone with more knowledge can give me an idea of value I'd be grateful.

• image1.JPG

Joshua Brown likes this.
  2. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Figtree3, Joshua Brown and judy like this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Here’s a link to an uncolored version of yours, but apparently you would have to inquire to find the price. Note the title “Girl with Dead Bird” (just saying the print might be out there under different names).

http://www.rareoldprints.com/swlitf...6f2982a64fd1fc1c802574ca004dd663?OpenDocument

At least you can check the size of his print against yours to ensure you are comparing apples to apples.

There's another Bartolozzi/Reynolds print titled "Simplicity". Almost identical pose of a girl child. Prices on that would likely be comparable... if you can find any.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    Joshua Brown and judy like this.
  4. Tracylou

Tracylou Member

Hi, thanks for the info. Ive found other Bartolozzi prints too but I suppose I'm hoping that its the rarity that might add a premium. Yes I found the other one which was price on application but the devil only wanted to be contacted by serious buyers - not people like me lol

5. Tracylou

Tracylou Member

Also there is a great website that anyone can go to, to see realised auction prices for things - its very handy https://www.barnebys.co.uk/realisedprices/Elkington.html?o=600&tc=0&r1[0]=0&a[0]=0&q=Elkington

6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I suspected that would be the case. Worth a shot though.

7. Its Oil paintings (two versions) are mentioned by Martin Postle "Sir Joshua Reynolds. The Subject Pictures", 1995, pp.100-102, pl. 40, 41. They belong to private collections.
    Art Historian, Tokyo

judy likes this.
  8. I am very interested in this engraving. As you already mentioned, the late prints are found in some museums, but never in colour. Also, this print has a poem of Catullus. It would be very nice, if I could have high-solution image without frame.
    Art Historian, Tokyo

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
    judy likes this.
  9. Tracylou

Tracylou Member

Hi, apologies for the late reply, Ive been away on holiday. I'll try to take pictures as requested over the weekend.
    Regards

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted