Extrange pottery zoomorphic

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Octaviano, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Octaviano

Octaviano Member

Hello friends,
    I bought this item in a garage sale, but no is argentina antique pottery, really I dont know wich cultura, america sure not.

Any know some idea?

Many thanks
    Cheers,
    Octaviano.

Attached Files:

Sandra and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

BCB8F37A-FC4A-4100-A56D-91EDA5222EBC.jpeg Welcome to the forum, I’ve enlarged your photo.
    :)

Sandra, Chiquita and judy like this.
  3. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Does it have a tail? Looks a bit like a Japanese tanuki.

i need help and judy like this.
  4. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Welcome to Atiquers Octaviano

i need help likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Hello Octaviano. I am sorry, I wouldn't know where to start looking. I agree, it is not by one of the regular cultures from the Americas. But I don't know all tribal styles. The colour of the clay looks like it could be Colombian, Venezuelan, maybe.

Octaviano has been around for some time, but he usually posts answers to things related to pre-Columbian Latin America.:)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    i need help likes this.
  6. Octaviano

Octaviano Member

Hello, many thanks for all coments.

I like, so much the etnographic items of all world, but my point is the precolumbian pottery, and native Argentina, my little knowledge is for help to all member, if you need.

Many thanks
    Octaviano.

dgbjwc, Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  7. Octaviano

Octaviano Member

Best photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i need help likes this.
  8. i need help

What would you call what he/she is holding?

9. Octaviano

Octaviano Member

Really I dont know, maybe two hands?

10. i need help

AA0EE950-3603-404D-BF26-8B9BFEAC3E56.jpeg I have no previous knowledge in this subject, however since you have posted this I’ve been trying to learn about these. Sine so many different cultures are intermingled in this area, I’m finding similar elements all over.
    I’ve not posted anything as nothing was the same. Similarities were found in Mayan, Polynesian, South American, and even Asian. I find this interesting, and will keep looking.
    But for now, I will leave you and @Any Jewelry with this Paul Gauguin studies in Bali (I think)
    Even though not zoomorphic, the symbols on the legs, reminded me of yours. :D

Any Jewelry likes this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Thank you, Hunting, that is beautiful.:) Made by Gauguin himself, inspired by Tahitian statues. But Gauguin being Gauguin, his Peruvian background shows, like it does in many of his 'Polynesian' pieces. There is a distinct pre-Columbian influence.

The Breton sitter for his portrait of 'La belle Angèle' was quite disgusted when he put a "pagan idol" next to her in the painting. It is said to be one of his pre-Columbian or pre-Col inspired pieces.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted