Experts on long guns

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by gabatgh, Jul 22, 2024.

1. gabatgh

gabatgh Active Member

Hey. I'd like to bring some 100+ years old long guns to someone qualified to learn their authenticity, viability, and guesstimated value. How would I find someone "qualified"? Are there certifications, degrees, or anything that would distinguish them as such? Is it just experience in the field?

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

u could start by locating any rifle ranges in your area,,,,,,, they would know who to turn you on to...

Authenticity....u gotta provide information to help this along.
    Marks on the gun are a big factor.....but where they came from, how ya got em, and paperwork if any.....are good indicators.

Viability.... you only know that when you fire it....and u only fire it if an expert or gunsmith says it's ok to do so.

Guesstimated value........show them to a long gun auction house in your area....

3. TreaShore

TreaShore Member

I second Komokwa's opinion.

The best piece of advice I have is to take your time and research the guns before selling them (if that is your decision). Firearms have a ton of factors when valuing. Markings are huge. Be it civil war rifles with state, armory, or regiment markings or simply any firearm with an early/low serial number. It can literally mean the difference in hundreds of thousands of dollars for the smallest detail that you might not even think to look for. While the chances of that are extremely rare, I wouldn't want to be the person to sell my rifle only to see it pop back up in the news as a "find of a lifetime" for the person you just sold it to.

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

That's sound advice , but the opposite is also true.

When they were making long guns..... they made lots....... many many lots !
    So a rifle , made in the 100's of thousands....... rode hard, and put away wet..... will ultimately serve as a decorative wall hanger !!:(

Condition is a big factor.....!;):hungover::hungover:

[​IMG]

TreaShore and all_fakes like this.
  5. TreaShore

TreaShore Member

Hot car? Was that car on fire? :)

Yep, tons of factors. Even if the gun looks great with a 90% original finish, inexperienced people might just assume the gun is near mint and avoid checking the bore. I've warned numerous people about surplus corrosive ammo as I know they don't clean their guns after every outing. It made me OCD with my rifles.

Bev aka thelmasstuff and komokwa like this.
  6. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I would also beware of people giving you false information. I had an 18th century Danish dragoon flintlock pistol that I inherited when my cousin passed. Her father had collected guns. I took it to the local gun shop in NH and they said it was a repro and offered me $300. I took it to my local gun shop and they said it was much older, not a repro and offered $1000. Then I found a local gun collector who came over and looked at it and gave me a couple of websites to check. It was worth over $3000.

komokwa and Boland like this.
  7. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I grew up in a hunting family. My uncles were scrupulous about cleaning their guns as soon as they got home, even if it was late at night. Gun care was a primary concern.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted