Featured Expert of Ancient Gold Ring Please

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by shamster, Aug 6, 2024.

1. shamster

shamster Well-Known Member

I know this is an antique not an ancient forum lol- and not that ancient, but is there anyone who can share some thoughts on these gold rings dated 1300s to 1500s please? Does the texture, quality, stone cut feel suspicious to you? I feel like my paranoid strikes again-for no reason! Grateful to any comments!
    1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Im no expert but those sure look like the real deal to me. Im torn between the ruby and the sapphire !

3. shamster

Thank you, yeah I agree as I have not yet seen another example of known fake that was executed so finely for a not so popular market compared to Roman or Viking gold. Btw the blue one is actually a glass tho!:happy:

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Didn't you post the Renaissance enamel ring before, with better photos?

Could you photograph each ring separately please, and from different sides? Not on your finger or hand please, but the ring only. It is best to photograph them on a white background, a piece of paper will do.
    Also closeups of the stones/glass please.:)

Btw, none of them are 1300s imo, and the timeframe should go up to 1600s.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2024
  5. shamster

They're not currently with me but here are some photos taken from the past:

1.jpg 3.jpg 2.jpg

Actually I've posted the blue one to a forum about ancient fakes and people there thought it's genuine post medieval. The green and red one sold to me as late medieval/early renaissance, so should fall in 1300s-1500s. There's one almost identical to the green one found in york last year, and they thought it's 1200s to 1400s. Link here:https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/1099841

johnnycb09, kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. shamster

7. Any Jewelry

The Middle Ages lasted until 1500. So late Medieval/early Renaissance is ca 1450-1550.
    Shammie did you see the stone on that one? It is a rounded cabochon, which is typical of Medieval rings (also seen later). None of your rings have rounded cabochons.
    The construction and setting are also different, much more in keeping with Medieval ring making.

johnnycb09 and kyratango like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Yes, it says 1250-1400. Yours is similar, a slightly heavier make, but that is alright. More decorations on yours, which make me think it is a little later, after 1400. The cut of the stone was still popular in the 1600s.

9. shamster

Yeah I agree cabochon stone is way more common, but there's still many of them ( but I'm not denying the possibility that the stone could be later replacement/or the whole thing is a bit later):
    https://www.facebook.com/story.php/?story_fbid=1013453583770545&id=100053177378434
    https://wartski.com/collection/a-medieval-jewelled-gold-finger-ring/
    https://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O71727/william-wytleseys-ring-ring-unknown/
    and also the blue example in my second reply.

But one thing I'm sure that the green example has identical construction with mine, unfortunately I have no photos of other angles, but really I'm sure they're executed in almost same way, including the view from side and back.

10. shamster

yeah I'm fine with a difference of a hundred year or two lol as long as they're authentic

11. Any Jewelry

Unfortunately I can't tell much from the photos you posted, a lot of hand and only small rings. I need good clear photos of a ring only, from all sides. Having to check the current photos back and forth is much too exhausting for my Covid eyes.:(
    But why don't you show them to PAS to have them authenticated?:)

12. shamster

Sorry about that! I have some photos taken by the dealer, if this helps: 1.jpg 2.jpg

Does PAS help verify stuff already on the market? I thought they only inspect new finds from the earth!

johnnycb09 and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. shamster

And here's another one dated 13th century by the seller- do you smell possibility of reproduction after this?
    3.jpg

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

I don't know, I don't live in the UK, but I suppose you're right. A museum then?

johnnycb09 and shamster like this.
  15. shamster

I'm unsure if museum would take time to look at such insignificant stuff either :(

johnnycb09 likes this.
  16. shamster

And I need to list these down to back up myself. These are the reasons I think they're authentic, particularly the two with more details:

1. I haven't see any other fakes of medieval/renaisaance era gold, only low-quality reproduction tagged so. I only see one seller of fake late medieval rings so far, and his listing are funny to look at.

2. It takes time, gold, stone, and skill to make one, and it costs a lot. And occasionally it sells, yes, but only one or two in a year or even longer. The market is way more smaller for this era compared to roman, viking or byzantine stuff. Even Thai workshops only fake roman and greek gold, selling fast at abnormally low price.
    Why keep faking more if they don't sell well?

So personally, I think there's really no need to hand-fake expensive gold rings like these knowing not when it will pay back.

kyratango, Any Jewelry and johnnycb09 like this.
  17. shamster

And, obviously, medieval rings like stirrup rings are much easier to make and more iconic serving as an ancient collectable, but no one bothers faking them.

kyratango likes this.
  18. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

My idea of a portable antiquities scheme is that you let the postman carry the emerald with a pyramidal cut to me. :D

19. shamster

Lol can I convince you this is a real late medieval ring and make you pay thousands with only these photos?

Any Jewelry, Bronwen and johnnycb09 like this.
  20. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I'm pretty will convinced they are what they appear to be. The beryl is more what people used to mean by 'aquamarine', sea water green.

kyratango, Any Jewelry and shamster like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted