Evaluate a bronze bell

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by springfld.arsenal, Dec 27, 2017.

1. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

A Dutch gentleman working in the US asked me about the bell he had recently purchased, still in transit to him. It is 12.5” tall and mouth is 9” diameter. He wanted the “coat of arms” deciphered. I replied that first we should study it to verify it was an authentic antique bell, for if not, whatever the “coat of arms” represents won’t matter. He agreed and gave me permission to post it here for that purpose. These are the only photos he has. Please give your opinion as to whether this bell is authentic and some rationale for your opinion.

926E871D-6148-46F4-A1A1-EDDEC1EFF0CC.jpeg

8BD67BB4-ECCB-4D4C-92B2-300EF662A74C.jpeg

judy likes this.
  2. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Authentic what?

I'd say it's a real mid century fauxtique

judy likes this.
  3. springfld.arsenal

Thanks for the input. Would you mind sharing your rationale for the benefit of those less knowledgeable?

judy likes this.
  4. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Strange piece.... cast but looks like it was turned on a lathe.The wreath and shield would be soldered on if the bell was turned. Top photo shows what may be a "crack" or a seam from two halves being put together on the right side.

Figtree3, judy and springfld.arsenal like this.
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I tried to isolate the emblem, but it didn't do me any good.
    zza1aa.jpg

I'm put off by how poorly finished the surface seems to be. How did it get that gouge below and to the left of the emblem? And I don't see why the bottom rim should be so ragged.

It looks like it should be a hanging bell, so how could those things happen? Which is not to say they couldn't, just that it looks off to me.

Figtree3 and judy like this.
  6. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Since it's a hanging bell, might whatever it was hanging from, have broken off, resulting in a fall which might explain some of the damage on the rim?

Figtree3 and judy like this.
  7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I am inclined to say it is a reproduction. As beat up as that rim is, some of the other details are awfully crisp. Assuming this to be 18th century or earlier, would expect more general wear than we are seeing. Also, patina seems unnaturally uniform.

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Agree, a reproduction. Total discrepancy between the badly finished seam on the top part and the nicely detailed decoration. That lathe-turned look and those gouges are not convincing either.

judy likes this.
  9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

@springfld.arsenal

You've had plenty of experience looking at cast bronze. Bells, cannon... they'd come from the same foundries; they'd show the same level of workmanship.

If someone showed you a cannon with this quality workmanship, what would your opinion be?

Same question would apply to those who have purchased bronze mortars.

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Sure doesn't look "authentic" to me. Finish is too uniform for one thing.....a very 'crisp' mold mark on the side.......all those dings on the bottom look just like they came out of a mold......maybe I'm way off base, but that's my opine!! AND, it looks like someone left the "clapper/clanger" in a bucket of water!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. springfld.arsenal

I was going to wait for most replies to get in before adding to this, maybe y’all will be mostly used up by tonite.

One suggestion I just thought of is, if you are going to buy a real bell or one said by a seller to be real, is call and ask for the bell to be rung near the telephone, and buyer record the ring. If it doesn’t ring with a nice tone for some seconds it is probably junk. You record the ring because rings are distinctive and you can tell the difference if they switch bells on you. Even if the bell is somewhat large it can be propped up so it will ring. Now is that clear as a ....?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  12. springfld.arsenal

Here’s my take on it, I had a collection of sizeable bells but sold out 20 years ago. I learned a little and think I can tell a decent one from junk. Here are parts of a bell:

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Parts_of_a_Bell.jpg

My notes:
    1. Crown not chased, sloppy protrusions and casting seam visible.
    2. Wide deep vertical crevice on far right side in photo demonstrates conclusively that the item is too poorly cast to be acceptable for use, either in antiquity or currently. Reason for the defect is unknown but if brass was used vice the correct bronze, it may have shrunk on cooling and a collapse occurred at that point as the casting attempted to reduce in diameter. A bell this defective in casting would never leave the foundry, it’d be recycled on the spot.
    3. “Coat of Arms” is applied vs. part of casting.
    4. Low loopy foliage is also appliqué.
    5. Clapper is wrong shape and looks modern.
    6. Lip is very ragged and probably more evidence of defective casting.
    7. Black patina looks like applied chemicals, not like an honest aged-bronze patina.

Other than that, it’s fine!

Figtree3, judy, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I think this is a decorator piece that got loose. I don't know bells, and waited for Spring to "chime" in before commenting, but I've seen my share of castings. It's awfully attractive, but doesn't smell old.

judy and yourturntoloveit like this.
  14. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

That's a pretty convincing analysis.

judy likes this.
  15. springfld.arsenal

I’m guessing the bell was treated with a Birchwood Casey product “Brass Black,” widely used by gunsmiths for blackening brass. A little rubbing with a cloth will remove some of it for a worn look.

judy likes this.
  16. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

I don't think it could properly be called bronze

judy likes this.
  17. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

The California Missions at one time were selling reproductions of their bells as a money maker. My mother picked one up someplace. We use it in the shop so when I'm in the office at the computer, people can get my attention. Maybe this is a cast of a bell from a famous (?) location sold in a gift shop.

My bell is from the Santa Barbara Mission. I think I read that these were made in the 30s. As you can see, it's not in great shape.

Attached Files: