European Mountain Landscape Oil Painting

Discussion in 'Art' started by Lithographer, May 15, 2021.

1. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

I typically don't buy these, because when I find them they are usually really big and the paint has cracked. This one is a nice size, I like the composition and it was $5.00. The handling of the colors, the light in particular, seems to be a bit better than what I usually see. I can't make out the signature. I am guessing either German, Austrian or Swiss. Canvas is nailed to the stretcher, it is in metric, don't know if that helps with the date. No writing on the back other than the 40 and 30 on the stretcher. IMG_1450.jpg IMG_1452.jpg IMG_1451.jpg IMG_1448.jpg

judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

cabin
    lake
    trees
    mountains

staples on the rear....

factory art..

10 years
    20 years
    30 years...

makes no difference..

judy, kyratango and Fid like this.
  3. Van_Poperin

Van_Poperin Well-Known Member

Looking at the mountain and sky, IMO this is very good for a factory painting. The frame is a nice frame too, but a little off for the colour palette.
    17A148C6-E3B7-4FFA-A9D5-5875439D798C.jpeg

It’s got some shortcuts, like the use of a palette knife for the banks and fencing and that’s not popular in art at the moment, but tastes change and therefore its value might too. I’m afraid I can’t read the name, but might that be “USA” written underneath? It’s a sweet thing to my [admittedly really undiscerning] eye; how you hang it could really make it shine :)

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Late 1950s-early 1960s from the frame. Certainly appears to have been made for commercial purposes but far, far superior to most.

Debora

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that's what happens when I see painting after painting here of factory art with the same image......... one gets jaded fast....
    It is way nicer than most !

Van_Poperin likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted