European Cruet with Unknown Mark - ID Help Please

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by FunkeysFinds, Aug 5, 2017.

1. FunkeysFinds

FunkeysFinds Well-Known Member

Hello and Happy Saturday!

I have this piece that I have been unable to identify and hoping our quality minds and eyes can help.

It seems to be well made and based upon the overall design, I'm thinking European?

I've added images of the base in three different angles, in case someone sees something different. When I look at it, I see an 'R' with a line underneath it. But, I'm having a migraine day today, so my eyes may be playing tricks. It does appear it may have had a paper label at one point.

Is it possible the carved design on the front mirrors something?

This measures 4 3/4'' tall. Thank you for looking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

This appears to be a religious item - Chi Rho (X and P) are a symbol of Christ. Perhaps used in baptism for anointing the child?

3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Holy water carrier. Sold with contents and a cork as a souvenir, possibly from Rome.

Christmasjoy and FunkeysFinds like this.
  4. FunkeysFinds

FunkeysFinds Well-Known Member

Interesting information. Thank you both Bakersgma and Ownedbybear, I appreciate it.

Christmasjoy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted