Featured Etchings artist ID

Discussion in 'Art' started by Marie Forjan, Jul 14, 2022.

1. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Hi all, I picked this up last year and now am trying to find if the print maker is a listed artist. I read the artist's name is Howard R. Palmer, am I right about that?

These are 2 etchings used as holiday cards. The top one says "Holiday Greetings from Helen & Howard R. Palmer", bottom left is the title "Off the Cape Dec. 25th" and bottom right is signed "Howard R. Palmer" and looks like '34.

The bottom one says "Merry Christmas and a bright, Happy New Year Helen & Howard R. Palmer", bottom left is the title "The Ship's Tree" and bottom right is signed "Howard R. Palmer '33".

Sorry about reflections but I was hoping not to have to open up the back. The sticker on the back shows they were framed in 2011.

I went through the links in the pinned "Artist lookup References" with no luck. I also Googled "Howard R. Palmer Artist Cape Cod", "Howard R. Palmer Cape Cod" and "Helen & Howard R. Palmer". The only artist I can find with that name is clearly too young to be the one who did these etchings.

The plate size of the top one is 3" x 3-15/16", the bottom one 3" x 3-7/8".

Thank you for any help :)

PalmerEtchings1.jpg PalmerEtchingsCU1.jpg PalmerEtchingsCU2.jpg PalmerEtchingsBk.jpg PalmerEtchingsLabel.jpg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That's the name I'm reading too. And very much like the spareness of his execution.

Debora

wlwhittier and NewEngland like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

5. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Thank you Debora, that's wonderful!

Good call Bakersgma, I should have thought of Bev :)

6. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Those are both strikingly attractive...and especially so with 'Off the Cape'.

elarnia likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted