Featured Etched Green Glass Vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ascot, Mar 11, 2015.

1. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

This is a large vase--10 3/8" high and top diameter of 8 1/4". The etching or engraving is obviously hand done and reminds me of "fine cut" patterns on EAPG glass. The glass itself has a spun look--not sure how to describe it but you can see rings in the glass all around the piece. The pontil is large, slightly indented, and not completely polished. It glows under UV light. There's a ton of shelf wear on the bottom. Sorry the pics aren't that great--I had to use a flash to get detail on the etching/engraving.

I'm thinking this might be Mexican but welcome any thoughts.

Thanks!
    Janice

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

If I saw that here, I'd think it late 18th or very early 19th C from the engraving, the pattern and the look of the glass.

KingofThings likes this.
  3. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Thanks, Bear. I'm hoping it's old--at least that's what the engraving said to me. The pontil, though….

KingofThings likes this.
  4. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

My immediate reaction is this is a century/agave plant so Mexican it may be and in uranium glass as well.

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Not agave. Ferns. ;)

KingofThings likes this.
  6. KingofThings

I see those but the upper center part is what I keyed on. I suppose there may be a fern with a center rising up like that... One does not necessarily have to relate to the other.

7. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

This is (probably) Czech, circa 30s-40s.
    Early American glass was all the rage then. The engraving is a stylized version of the basket of flowers engraving found on a lot of "Stiegel" type glass, manufactured in Pa. in the mid/late 18th. century.

A lot of Czech blown glass made to kinda look like early Stiegel and other early American glass came into the U.S. to capitalize on this collecting fervor of the time. SOMETIMES you'll find an etched "Czechoslovakia" on the base but 90% was unmarked.

Sorry about the large image but here's a period (1775-1820) "Stiegel type" tumbler.

[​IMG]

The irony is much of this early "American" glass, through subsequent research since the early twentieth century, is now known to have originated, circa 1800, in.......BOHEMIA.

8. KingofThings

9. fenton

fenton Well-Known Member

Just myself---I have seen newer glass etched like that.

KingofThings likes this.
  10. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Thanks, everyone! If you do a search for "Stiegel type glass", you'll find vases similar to mine. No doubt my vase was made to copy Stiegel.

KingofThings likes this.
  11. ChrisDL

ChrisDL New Member

I have a matching large bowl to your vase. It looks very early and I'd often wondered if it was some students first attempt at blowing/etching. The pontil of mine is very rough and lots of waves and bubbles in the glass. It is also uranium glass. Definitely the same maker though.

Draft saved Draft deleted