Etched Bone, Horn napkin ring?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by NewEngland, Oct 10, 2020.

1. NewEngland

NewEngland Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if this is bone or antler/horn, or if it's Chinese or Japanese. I'm not even sure if it is a napkin ring. It has old dried glue along the top and bottom edges so it was probably attached to something else at one time. It's the right size for a napkin ring - 1.5" high, top oval measures 2" x 1 3/4". Any ideas of what this is and how old it is? Thanks!

etchedbonenapkinholdera.JPG etchedbonnapkinholder.JPG etchedbonenapkinholderb.JPG etchedbonenapkinholderwriting.JPG etchedbonenapkinholderwritinga.JPG

judy likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

could that be a bamboo....

NewEngland likes this.
  3. NewEngland

It has a lot of busy grain, almost like wood, but it feels more like bone.

judy likes this.
  4. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Oh no, I can see that's a bone!! :inpain::jawdrop:

judy and NewEngland like this.
  5. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

That type of grain is not characteristic of bone. I would suspect bamboo. Can you see any pattern on the ends under magnification? Bamboo will show a dense assemblage of pores.
    Here is some bamboo flooring:
    [​IMG]
    And a piece of turned giant bamboo:
    [​IMG]
    https://www.wood-database.com/bamboo/

judy and komokwa like this.
  6. NewEngland

No, there are no pores. It's not bamboo. One end is slightly thicker than the other which is very thin.

judy likes this.
  7. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Weird. Bone would show some pores on the exterior decorated surface. I suppose it might be horn (cow, sheep, or such, not antler). I am puzzled by the striations visible on the interior.

I also notice that there is a dot pattern in some of the margins of the design, similar to a transfer pattern on ceramics. Any chance it might be a synthetic material?

judy likes this.
  8. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

how about ivory? like a turned section of tusk ...could it be a box or a cup that came apart?

NewEngland, judy and kyratango like this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I've never seen ivory like that.........those wavy lines are a mystery....
    but they do go nicely with the mountain drawing..

NewEngland, judy and kyratango like this.
  10. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
    komokwa, NewEngland and judy like this.
  11. NewEngland

Thanks for all the comments. I'm pretty sure it's a napkin ring which originally had silver trim on each end, hence the remains of glue. It is either tusk or antler/bone. I don't have a UV light to test it for ivory.
    Just one of the many oddball items I picked up at a community yard sale this weekend. It was fun to get back out there hunting for unusual items. Wearing a mask, of course!

antidiem, kyratango and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted