Featured Estimate age?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Frank, Aug 14, 2024.

1. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

Is it possible to estimate the age of a frame based on the construction? This houses a mirror, and measures 29 1/2 x 36 1/2 inches. The mirror has some minor silver loss, and the surface of the glass is slighty wavy. I'm not absolutely certain the mirror is original, although my mother told me years ago that she felt it was as old as the frame.
    As you can see, the corners of the frame are dovetailed.
    As with so many of my other pieces, this was inherited from my mother's family in Edgefield, SC.
    1.JPG 2.JPG DSC_0462.JPG DSC_0466.JPG

2. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

These are good pics, but it would be good to have one of the whole front to see age of glass. Can’t tell from these whether glass replaced.

The construction and age of wood indicates 19th century, possibly very early 20th. It looks like it was always to hold a piece of mirror glass, and not recycled picture frame, because of shallow depth for insert.

The use of premade molding attached to front, and the large size, indicates latter part of 19th century and not before. Late Victorians were making relatively huge windows and mirrors, and 36” qualifies as huge.

BTW, there is writing on the back of the left and bottom frame pieces, what do these say?

Any Jewelry likes this.
  3. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

Photos of the entire front of the frame and mirror, and DSC_0477.JPG DSC_0479.JPG DSC_0480.JPG of the writing on the left and bottom frame pieces. I'm not sure I can decipher them.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  4. Jeff Drum

Unfortunately that is 20th century glass so either glass has been replaced (my guess, supported by finish nails used to hold glass) or glass and frame was made later in 20th century than I was guessing, after factories had improved production of large pieces of very flat glass. Front also shows decorative trim looks to be plaster on wood, appropriate for late 19th early 20th. Writing looks like stock numbers, either the manufacturer or dealer, so not typically useful, unfortunately.

Any Jewelry and mirana like this.
  5. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

It would not surprise me to learn that the glass has been replaced, but educate me about how to tell just by looking at a photo if the glass is 20th century? I'm curious.

6. Jeff Drum

When you’re looking at older glass, three things to consider: thickness, size and flatness. Don’t know thickness, but doesn’t matter. This is quite large and extremely flat (see dead-straight reflection of door frame) so must have been made into the 20th century.

Frank likes this.
  7. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

Thank you for explaining. Makes sense!

Draft saved Draft deleted