Featured Erte 3D plaque/wall art real?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Jul 5, 2024 at 12:20 PM.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I got this piece because I thought it looked cool, even though there was no name, manufacturer or other info.
    A google image search showed the figure was of a Erte bronze artwork , and if you look dead center of him you can see an Erte deco looking woman.
    But it has a epoxy? like coating & I'm pretty sure it's not bronze, so is it a copy? Has anyone seen this before?
    Also, it has a kind of 3D look where it has different heights within the edges.
    Finally, it also had a real Erte scarf in same box - maybe a gift with a scarf purchase?
    20240704_185454.jpg 20240705_120750.jpg 20240705_120824.jpg 20240705_120810.jpg
    20240705_120838.jpg 20240705_120850.jpg

PS - plaque above measures approx. 8.5" x 9.5"

Below is photo I took of scarf at thrift to do a image search and be sure it was real - most of the scarves were framed!

20240705_072433.jpg

Last edited: Jul 5, 2024 at 12:27 PM
    judy, Marote and Bronwen like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Marote likes this.
  3. journeymagazine

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

'Samson & Delilah'. I'd think it was a decorative reproduction. The bronze (?) ones were from a limited edition with COA. Suspect yours was a less expensive version of same. The Benedetti Gallery in NYC seems to have been the source in the early 1990s.

Debora

Marote likes this.
  5. journeymagazine

Thank you Debra- you are AMAZING!

6. journeymagazine

It may be a well done copy- after looking at your link I checked mine & it has a edition number in front if the back foot like others, but I can't make it out.
    Maybe someone photographed an original & then made similar frame (its also smaller) - or could it have been a less expensive version for more people? (Probably not, I know)
    Thanks again for quick ID!

20240704_185644.jpg 20240704_185711.jpg 20240705_181109.jpg

7. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

In your last photo I see a serious dot pattern :(

8. journeymagazine

Yes I know - that's why I said maybe somebody photographed it

9. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Photographing it would not create the dot pattern. Printing in 4/C process most likely would, looks like a recent 4/C process print.

10. journeymagazine

What is 4c?

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Four color, the number of colors that are commonly used in process color printing -- cyan, magenta, yellow and black.

Debora

CMYK_Color_Swatches.svg.png

journeymagazine likes this.
  12. journeymagazine

Thanks debora - I knew that from when I had a magazine, but it's been so long it didn't even click; I'm getting old!

Draft saved Draft deleted