Ercol chair - 50s or 60s?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Momie, Aug 30, 2020.

1. Momie

Momie New Member

I've just purchased a small Ercol rocking chair (see profile pic) and was wondering how to date it. I thought it was 1960s (found it in the Ercol 1965 catalogue) but have also found it in the 1956 one too?
    Can anyone help? Thanks!

2. Momie

Momie New Member

I've attached a photo of one of the cushion strap studs on the bottom...it doesn't seem like the usual 'snap on' stud fastening...would that help date it?

Attached Files:

3. Momie

Momie New Member

This photo is of a similar chair with the same BS1960 stamp...but different stud fastenings?

Attached Files:

4. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Would you like to show us the whole chair?

5. antidiem

Please click "Full size" when loading your pictures. I keep clicking back and forth to try to figure out what I'm looking at, thanks.

6. Momie

Momie New Member

Keep getting told the files are too large? ‍♀️

7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

She said it was her profile image!!!:):):)

16384-gigapixel-scale-2_50x.jpg

8. antidiem

I couldn't see that, thanks Aquitaine! :kiss:

Looks like maple wood. Looks like late 1940s to me so 1956 catalog would seem correct, but it's a guess, I am not familiar with this brand and have not done any research in this direction. The bolt sticking out looks appropriate for a seat cushion, tho I don't know if it's original to the rocker. It appears to be.

9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Not maple, they use elm, beech, ash and oak. That design was made before WW2 and very similar ones are still made - I own one. The seat cushions have a fabric piece with poppers to hold them on. If it says BS 1960, it has to be post 1953 - that's when the standard was published. I'd email Ercol, they're very helpful.

Draft saved Draft deleted