Engraved brass tray

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Chinoiserie, Aug 16, 2023.

1. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

I often vow never to buy brass again as it never seems to attract much interest. So I bought this. Another £5 bargain basement. It's 53cm in diameter. I think perhaps Persian due to hunting horsey theme in the centre. Or could be Indian?

IMG20230816200802_copy_856x1141.jpg IMG20230816200830_copy_1105x1473.jpg IMG20230816200811_copy_870x1160.jpg IMG20230816200821_copy_966x1289.jpg

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Indian, I think, but the Indians and Persians borrowed off of each other early and often. Safer to sell it as Indian/Moghul/Indo-Persian though since selling anything as Iranian is begging for trouble. Persian may be safe, but bots being bots I'm not sure I'd risk it.

3. Chinoiserie

Okay thanks for advice. I've never had any issues with bots over false descriptions really for objects like these. When it comes to something so niche, I don't think they know their arses from their elbows. I have been pulled for describing something as 'looks like' and for sayng 'make me an offer' even if I have the send offer feature enabled (your terminology eBay not mine). I think they are more concerned about being sued by M$ and co than customers being misled. All that said, I do like to keep my descriptions as accurate as possible and to be honest with people who are paying me money.

4. evelyb30

I've said it a million times: bot is bots and bot is DUMB. Anything that requires common sense or logic is bound to be a problem. "looks like" is a known no-no , and I wouldn't waste space on telling someone offers are enabled. Buyers can filter for Best Offer items.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  5. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

It's beautiful as is Chin-shucks,not everything's Chinese Export Silver.Put yer opium pipe or Tickle Me Elmo on it.

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Indian imo. One of the 'holy figures' in one of the circles looks like Hanuman. All of them have long earrings, which is a Hindu thing.
    The rider with the spear could be Kartikeya (Murugan), with his "Vel", with which he can destroy evil.
    I like the free, loose style of the engraving, less 'constricted' than many others.

Although there could be Persian influence in the style, I wouldn't call it Indo-Persian, because of the Hindu subject.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2023
  7. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I have to agree with AJ
    First because she is so smart about these things.
    And second, because I had an item with the same design that came with a Made in India sticker on it.

8. Any Jewelry

:kiss:
    :playful:

komokwa and pearlsnblume like this.
  9. Chinoiserie

I always agree with her apart from when I know I'm right. :rolleyes:

Don't like the sound of the sticker. Makes it feel tacky. :confused:

I hope it was an antique sticker

komokwa likes this.
  10. Chinoiserie

Wow. Thanks for all the info. It's nice to know the significance of the design.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  11. Any Jewelry

:joyful:

Chinoiserie and pearlsnblume like this.
  12. bosko69

I love it when the Indian & Chinese Artisans sign their pieces w/ Stickers-keeps me from making an ass of myself (again !).

pearlsnblume and Chinoiserie like this.
  13. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Me too Not tacky at all.

14. bosko69

... usually too tacky to scrape off.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

sticker.......?
    what about the damage ?

16. Margaretriquet

Margaretriquet New Member

Sorry, but even if you think eBay's bots don't know what they're doing, it's not worth getting your listing taken down or getting a policy violation.

The "looks like" language can be misleading to buyers, and the "make me an offer" language can be interpreted as soliciting bids before the listing has ended. These are clear violations of eBay's policies.

I agree that eBay is more concerned about being sued than they are about customer protection, but that doesn't mean you should take it for granted. So you can just use a listing template that has been pre-approved by eBay.

I know you want to be honest with your buyers. However, you also need to be careful not to do anything that could get your listing taken down or get you in trouble with eBay...

Cheers,
    Margaret

17. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

do u work for eBay ?

18. evelyb30

No need; she just has to have sold something one time too many.

Chinoiserie likes this.
  19. Chinoiserie

Slight scratch. I dont know what all the fuss is about.

20. bosko69

Komo means the lower right hand flange,just to the right of the lowest 'lobe' in the first pic.

Any Jewelry and Chinoiserie like this.