English Drop Leaf Table

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by EasyBake, Jan 1, 2024.

1. EasyBake

EasyBake New Member

Happy New Year!

I'm wondering if you can help me find a little bit more out about my new table. I'm not worried about what it's worth, my wife and I value antiques more for their story. After we brought the table home, we realized it was older. We contacted the seller and found out it was bought from an antique shop in England, but nothing more. It's held together with flathead screws and different joints. The drop leaf supports are different, and I wasn't able to find anything like them on Google. No drawers on the table, however, the tabletop and both drop leaves have three boards joined together with what looks like tongue and groove joints. Unfortunately, there were no marks or labels anywhere! My guess is the late 1800s to early 1900s, but I'm no expert. I appreciate any help you can give!

thumbnail_IMG_5699.jpg thumbnail_IMG_5706.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_5705.jpg thumbnail_IMG_5703.jpg thumbnail_IMG_5700.jpg thumbnail_IMG_5697.jpg

verybrad and judy like this.
  2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

English oak barley twist drop leaf dining table, I would say Edwardian.
    I have one nearly the same including four matching chairs in my van at the moment from a clearnce on Friday.

komokwa, johnnycb09, verybrad and 6 others like this.
  3. EasyBake

EasyBake New Member

Do you know what the drop leaf supports are called? All I can find are gate leg examples.

judy likes this.
  4. daveydempsey

I can't really see it properly, if its not a gate leg support it might be a draw bracket type.

komokwa, johnnycb09 and judy like this.
  5. EasyBake

EasyBake New Member

6. EasyBake

EasyBake New Member

I hope these pictures help. I tried to look up the draw bracket type but haven't found anything. It seems that gate legs are very popular because that's all that shows up.

Is there something you're seeing that makes you feel like it's Edwardian? Maybe just experience? Just want to get smarter on what I'm looking at. Thanks!

7. daveydempsey

I don't think it has an official name, I know it as a draw support bracket.
    Experience shows its Edwardian, I get quite a lot of these, they are a hard sell.
    The one I have in my van has the matching chairs so it might do better.

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Though may not be a style much in demand, both handsome and useful.

Debora

9. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Nice quality, even if it’s not valuable. Even the secondary “support” features are quarter-sawn oak with better “flaking” than the primary oak of most pieces! Nice score!

komokwa and Debora like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted