English blue and white vase what is the style and what are the holes for?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Kevolee, Oct 10, 2020.

1. Kevolee

Kevolee Well-Known Member

I was able to find out where this vase is from and when it was made and a have a general idea of what it is, but if someone can help me with any specifics and let me know why it has symmetrical holes in the bottom I would be very appreciative. It stands around 5.25" tall Thanks in advance for any help with this. IMG_6960.JPG IMG_6963.JPG IMG_6962.JPG
    IMG_6961.JPG

kyratango likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i'm silly................................

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
  3. komokwa

april 1881....... i think...

upload_2020-10-10_21-56-12.jpeg

judy likes this.
  4. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

I wonder if it might be a utensil (spoon) drainer. Put your just washed utensils in there to drain before you get around to drying them. Just a WAG.

5. komokwa

5 1/4 inches tall.............i should read better !!!!:jawdrop:

judy likes this.
  6. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

The design is aesthetic period when Japonisme was all the rage. If you can read the numbers and letters in the diamond I can tell you who made it. Sorry I can’t quite make them all out.
    Ps I think the holes have been added later.

Bakersgma, kyratango and judy like this.
  7. komokwa

the parcel number looks to be 7........

kyratango and judy like this.
  8. John Brassey

I’ll check April 1881 parcel 7 later

kyratango, judy and komokwa like this.
  9. John Brassey

There is only one parcel 7 in April 1881 and that was on 23rd by J F Wileman. Check out J F Wileman and they did indeed produce Aesthetic style pieces.

komokwa and kyratango like this.
  10. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I think it may be a toothbrush holder. I have one of slightly different design.

popsycat, komokwa, dgbjwc and 3 others like this.
  11. John Brassey

I think you are right

komokwa likes this.
  12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Agreed. Toothbrushes.

komokwa likes this.
  13. Kevolee

Kevolee Well-Known Member

Thanks so much everyone. That was so interesting to watch the discussion evolve. I got off on cheese drainer/molds which looked promising for a bit but went nowhere. But now I do have some knowledge in that area and I guess that is part of what this is all about.

bercrystal likes this.
  14. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

There is no such thing as wasted research. You never know when you might see something out in the wild & will immediately know it was a cheese drainer. :happy::happy:

Just curious @Ownedbybear or @say_it_slowly do these usually have some type of matching underplate?

15. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Might have been a shaped under plate or more possibly it sat on a tray with other things. Soap dish, beaker and so forth.

bercrystal and komokwa like this.
  16. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Thanks. All I could think of is the mess it would make at the sink. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Draft saved Draft deleted