Empire Secretary Desk or Pillar & Scroll ? Help to identify and age

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by annea, Aug 13, 2021.

1. annea

annea Member

desk august 21 empire  full.jpg desk august 21 empire  front.jpg desk august 21 empire  side b.jpg Wondering if this antique secretary desk is Empire or Pillar & Scroll style? The feet that is has are shown in the Sotheby's Book as the Pillar & Scroll style. I see there is a 1st and 2nd empire period also. So am stumped on which would be correct. Looking for help to identify it for sure and approx. age. 1850 age was given, but wondering if it might be a bit older instead? Walnut for the wood ? although it looks like mahogany was more commonly used. Thank you for your help on this piece.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2021
    Ghopper1924 likes this.
  2. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Pillar & Scroll or more correctly, Late Classical.
    Mid 19th century or later, machine factory built.

3. annea

annea Member

Thank you for your reply. Drawers look hand dove tailed. Thinking I read that early factory made pieces were that way though? Does the wood look like walnut then? Thank you for the help.

Ghopper1924 and James Conrad like this.
  4. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yes, you read correctly. Although machines largely built the furniture, those pesky dovetails on the drawer boxes eluded the machine's grasp until 1900 when the mighty dovetail fell to machines as well.
    Walnut? I don't know for sure, I can't tell by the photos as they are pretty dark but, guessing most likely mahogany.
    It looks to be in very good condition, are you considering purchasing it?

Ghopper1924, i need help and komokwa like this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It looks rock solid; as long as no one leaves it out in the rain or in an attic somewhere it'll be around for another 100 years with no problem.

Ghopper1924 and James Conrad like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted