Featured Empire Amberina Vase with Sterling Weighted Base - When?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KikoBlueEyes, Nov 5, 2023.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I was astonished to find this gorgeous vase amongst the Thanksgiving decor at the Discovery Shop. I looked at the bottom and saw "Empire Sterling Weighted 406." It is a whooping 16 inches tall with clear ruffled lip that has some yellow on the front. The lip looks something like the lily of the valley vase by Fenton that I recently found.

I found one other on the web that was similar but not as ruffled at the top. I see some dates on the Corning website for Empire Glass Companies but couldn't find this logo. Can anyone tell me an age range?

IMG_4068.JPG IMG_4069.JPG IMG_4071.JPG IMG_4072.JPG IMG_4073.JPG

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

That mark is for Empire Silver not Empire Glass.

From Sterlingflatwarefashions :
    Empire Silver Co., Inc.

Brooklyn, NY 1946-Present
    Makers of sterling and pewter holloware. Acquired by Lifetime Brands in 2014.

3. KikoBlueEyes

Ah ha. That's why I couldn't find it! Thank you so much.

4. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

I love a nice swung vase - wouldn't surprise me if that's Fenton amberina. I still have the Fenton hobnail swung bud vase in luscious plum opalescent that my Mom bought around 1960, so I never remember a home without it...

~Cheryl

5. KikoBlueEyes

Cheryl

Thanks for weighing. Plum opalescent sounds wonderful.

You are right it looks a lot like Fenton Amberina - When I did a Google Image Search, that's what it came up with. So, you think that is a project between the two companies?

Any Jewelry and pearlsnblume like this.
  6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Maybe someone loved it for sentimental reasons and had a base put on when it got broken. Ive seen vases with silver bases,but they were usually clear glass.

7. DragonflyWink

Usually the silver companies acquired the glass blanks, suspect the case with yours since the manufacturer stamped their name, but sometimes the glass companies offered silver-mounted pieces. I have a smaller, much less impressive plain clear swung glass vase with a simple 'STERLING' base, a slightly beat up workhouse.

I think the plum Fenton may be handy, if so, will take a quick pic...

~Cheryl

8. KikoBlueEyes

There is another one, so not a joining by an individual.
    FOR Correne Only Vintage Empire Orange Glass Swung Vase With - Etsy

My thinking is just because there aren't images out there on the web doesn't mean that other examples don't exist. Google doesn't search the entire web, just mainly things for sale or on sites like Collectors Weekly, Worthpoint, Antiques Board, etc. When I dive into a Facebook group, there are astonishing things out there but since they are private no one sees them. I saw a bunch of clear ones when I first looked by typing in the search.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2023
  9. KikoBlueEyes

Love to see the plum Fenton. Quite excited actually.

johnnycb09 and Lucille.b like this.
  10. KikoBlueEyes

11. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

12. KikoBlueEyes

Wow. You nailed it. Looks like the cooperating companies! That's exactly the same vase. Sounds like it could have happened naturally because Viking was in West Virginia and Empire was in Brooklyn. Viking when it reopened in 1941 may have been looking for new approaches and contacted Empire.

13. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

Wow, this vase is striking!
    What a wonderful find. I'da been all over that, too!

14. DragonflyWink

Nice work, TallCakes! Should have thought of Viking, my Mom had a weakness for their pieces in the late '60s-early '70s, colorful vases and figurines, often broken by rowdy kids (still have an amber horse she gave me).

Meant to post the Fenton vase last night, but fell asleep, but here is the quick and crummy shot now (9.25" tall):

fenton-plum-opalescent-hobnail-swung-vase (1).jpg

edit: Here's a reasonably sized vase shot:

fenton-plum-opalescent-hobnail-swung-vase (2).jpg

And because I know you love orchids, here is a shot of the first bloom I've had in months (the extreme heat took it's toll), a Cattlianthe (LC) Sagarik Wax 'Silk Ball', usually a cluster, but happy for just the one...

orchid-2023-11-05-cattlainthe-sagarik-wax-Silk-Ball (1).jpg

~Cheryl

15. KikoBlueEyes

It's a beauty that's for sure. Just on its own without the base. And it's big at 16 inches.

stracci and johnnycb09 like this.
  16. KikoBlueEyes

That Fenton is dreamy. I haven't seen that color in the wild. I can see how your mother kept it around as you moved.

That orchid bloom is stellar!!!! I only have a shelter, not a green house, so I can't grow cattleya or any of their hybrids. Such a crispy contrast of colors and the bloom is in such perfect condition.

johnnycb09 and Any Jewelry like this.
  17. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

There you have it.Always learning on here !

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  18. DragonflyWink

It is a pretty color, believe it was only produced for a few years, she paired it with a small Murano shell bowl, white cased with a deep plum interior (packed away somewhere).

Awww, thank you! It's spectacular in a cluster, but definitely holds up as a single - hoping with the bit cooler weather, some more orchids will bloom. Cattleyas do fine outside here, Florida is basically a greenhouse anyway. Here's what happens when we have a hard freeze, the hall bath, as well as any free counterspace gets loaded with orchids, bromeliads, succulents and my little staghorn:

Christmas-freeze-2022-orchids-etc (1).jpg

~Cheryl

19. KikoBlueEyes

Looks like you have some fun things. Us, orchidomaniacs are all alike. Tending to our babies to make sure the weather doesn't harm them. Here in coastal SoCal I can grow Cymbidiums, Dendrobiums, Vandas, and Epidendrums fairly easily in a shade shelter. I bought a baby Vanda Rothschildiana a few years back but it hasn't bloomed yet. It's too dry where I live to grow Cattleyas and some others except in a greenhouse. I have to count on the ocean moisture to keep the things I grow in the soil alive. :D

Any Jewelry and lvetterli like this.
  20. lvetterli

lvetterli Well-Known Member

Wow! I have 2 little orchids that haven't bloomed since I received them a couple years ago. But I guess there's hope for me still. They both need repotting and maybe some feeding. Heading into winter in Southern Wisconsin, I need to find a way to have them in a more humid environment.

That's a gorgeous bloom, I'm very jealous. And that whole tub full of plants makes me want to make some room.

Linda

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted