Featured Elsa Selian Oil Painting

Discussion in 'Art' started by Josh, Dec 9, 2023.

1. Josh

Josh Well-Known Member

Recently acquired this oil painting by Artist Elsa Selian (1896-1980). She seemed to fairly prominent in the Sarasota, Florida area during the 1950's and 1960's. This painting is of the Household Cavalry and measures 20"X16". I would like to put this one up for sale but I have not been able to find any of her other paintings for sale or that have been sold. Was wondering if anyone might know of any previous sales of her work. Thanks for any help.

DSC_0016.JPG DSC_0018.JPG DSC_0019.JPG DSC_0020.JPG

DonnaW, Any Jewelry and Potteryplease like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I couldn't find anything.

Debora

Last edited: Dec 9, 2023
  3. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

You know... I thought it had been painted from an available image, a post card perhaps. Not really a scene that can be observed and painted.

Debora

mirana and Roaring20s like this.
  5. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

7. Josh

Josh Well-Known Member

Thanks for the help, I will keep searching. Roaring 20's, those are the catalogs i had found, but yes no images or prices for her work. And yes probably done from a photograph as there are many photos of the House Cavalry.

Roaring20s likes this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I think perhaps she was a local painter, in which case, it wouldn't be unusual to not find examples of her work floating around the internet. The Florida Artists Group is still in existence and does have an web site; perhaps they have an archive and could provide further information.

https://www.floridaartistsgroup.org/

Debora

Roaring20s likes this.
  9. Antiquefab

Antiquefab Well-Known Member

Just to add to Debora's comment,she did exhibit a still life oil painting in the Florida Artists Group 1955/6 but with the initials NFS after it ,so possibly she just painted as a hobby and did not want to sell any of her work.

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That would be consistent with her working from available images and not from life.

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted