Eli Terry Jr Clock Old or Not?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Snowman Cometh, Jun 30, 2024 at 4:26 PM.

1. Snowman Cometh

Snowman Cometh Well-Known Member

We went to the opening day of an estate sale, and they had on this clock 1700s. Looking up Eli Terry it's obviously not. I think (I'm pretty sure I'm correct. Because I'd never heard it before) the seller was telling someone that the original wooden workings were removed.

It was still there today, the final day of the sale, and I got a good buy on it. At least I think I did, if it's old. If it's new, I'm gonna be peeved.

I do think it's old. But, I personally can't tell. Is there a way I can tell? Or does anyone see anything in these photos that might tell you if it's 1800s or 1990s?

Thank You!
    upload_2024-6-30_16-24-25.jpeg
    upload_2024-6-30_16-24-45.jpeg
    upload_2024-6-30_16-25-2.jpeg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

helps to see the mechanism..

Snowman Cometh likes this.
  3. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

It may well be that the original wood “innards” were replaced. That’s what it looks like; replica works inside an old case.

4. Snowman Cometh

I'm eventually going to take pictures (the best I can). The back is nailed on. So, I can't get to the mechanism. That wood looks old.
    Is the case worth anything? It appears to be in very nice condition.

I bought it because the people really wanted to get rid of it. I own quite a few clocks. I have a small wind up that works beautifully, and the chime is great. Not too loud, not too soft. So, I'll probably end up selling this one. I tried to wind it, and it doesn't seem to work. I just don't want to take it apart and break it more than it is.

5. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

I appreciate your positive attitude toward clocks!

There is some value to the case for sure, but not nearly as much as an intact example. Maybe $50-$100, depending on where you are and the clock market in that area. The fact that, even with the replacement innards, the clock doesn’t work does not help matters.

6. Snowman Cometh

Thanks. I might attempt to remove the back, to at least see what's back there. But, I swear a tool in my hand is a dangerous weapon that rarely does what it's supposed to. Yet, I was at a time an excellent sleight-of-hand artist.

Even if I get $50, I'd still make a small profit. They wanted hundreds the first day, and practically gave it away the final day.

Draft saved Draft deleted