Elephants Plaster Mid Century Relief Board Etha Richter (German)?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Squidsworth, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Squidsworth

Squidsworth Active Member

A.jpg B.jpg C.jpg d.jpg e.jpg Hi All

Does anybody know if this plaster on wood relief board featuring elephants could be by Etha Richter, a german sculpturer? Or any other suggestions? Or how I might find out more? It is quite large, 30"x13" - I think stained plaster on wood (which is painted black).

Many thanks for any info
    Paul

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    lauragarnet and KingofThings like this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

See white anywhere?
    I'd think it would be gesso. It could be white too though.

3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

This looks molded rather than a one of a kind work to me. Wonder if it might be a product of the Richter Artcraft Co. Doesn't quite fit exactly with what they did but who knows?

komokwa and KingofThings like this.
  4. KingofThings

I meant it to be molded as well because it looks pretty thick and there's another material I just can't bring to mind.
    Could also be wax but it seems that should be easily discovered.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    komokwa likes this.
  5. Squidsworth

I think its what you'd call beige and brown - its actually a bit darker than what the photo's make out, cant see any white.

Its chipped here and there and the internal substance is a little powdery in nature and has a sort of reddish/pinkish hue, which the photo's don't show.

I have a side view photo I'll upload in a bit, it isn't the best can you give a clue how its 'layered'. Weight is 3Kg I don't think the wood is solid, its painted black all round.

KingofThings likes this.
  6. Squidsworth

PS I've added the back and side view photo

KingofThings likes this.
  7. KingofThings

I don't think it's carved.

komokwa likes this.
  8. artsfarm

artsfarm Active Member

It sounds like it might be Syroco 'wood', which is a composite of wood pulp and binder. Syroco (Syracuse Ornamental Co.) and a couple other companies made plaques, wall clocks, sconces and lots of other things in mid-century.

KingofThings likes this.
  9. KingofThings

In the colors he states?

10. Squidsworth

I'm no expert but I think it might be one of kind and still think its stained plaster - pretty sure it isn't acrylic in nature as that wouldn't be 'powerdery' inside? The signature is quite like etha richter, and the subject matter fits. Maybe I need better photos. :) Thanks for all the assistance so far anyway, gives me plenty to think about.

KingofThings likes this.
  11. Squidsworth

In real life you can see a clear differential between where the 'plaster' meets the 'board'.

KingofThings likes this.
  12. artsfarm

artsfarm Active Member

I've seen & had Syroco ranging inside from tan to pinkish-tan to light brown, depending on what color the stain is, age and the pulp color, so sure, I think it could be. I looked up Syroco elephant/s, and found nothing so far, but if I can remember the name of the other companies, maybe there's something there.

KingofThings likes this.
  13. Squidsworth

A few more hopefully better photos... _20161208_175102_1481222202292_5.JPG _20161208_175253_1481222201506_3.JPG _20161208_175448_1481222240473_1.JPG _20161208_175209_1481222202005_4.JPG _20161208_175410_1481222201101_2.JPG _20161208_175329_1481222200676_1.JPG

KingofThings likes this.
  14. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I haven't been able to find any examples of Etha Richter's signature that did not require a subscription to the site. One thing I noticed is that the descriptions of items sometimes say that her signature includes both her first and last name. The subject matter is right, though! And I also didn't find any other plaques. So it's hard to tell.

KingofThings likes this.
  15. KingofThings

From within the dusty files encased on my shoulders just came Gutta-percha.
    That is the other medium I was trying to think of at first.

16. Squidsworth

Thanks Figtree and King. I'll look at the medium you mention. Yes she often signed both names on porcelain at least - which are quite common. Its her signature from a porcelain piece I was comparing. See below:

IMG-20161202-WA0002.jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  17. Squidsworth

and here's the one on this piece:

IMG-20161202-WA0000.jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  18. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

That signature is very similar so you could be right.

KingofThings likes this.
  19. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Agreed... the signatures are similar.

KingofThings likes this.
  20. Squidsworth

I put it through valuemystuff and only got a generic response really - they weren't able to tell materials etc from photo's. They said I'd need further research to attribute it to Etha Richter but they didn't rule it out. They said it was a little 'unrefined' in technique though.

Bearing in mind I'm in east midlands in the UK, is there anywhere you'd recommend I could take it so someone could see it in real life and offer an opinion? Obviously they'd be a large difference in value if it could be attributed to Etha Richter. At the moment they're saying £100-£150 as a decorative piece.

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted