Egyptian silver stamp

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, May 5, 2019.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Tut has a tiny stamp on his neck that looks like a palm tree. It’s very faint but I think that’s what it is. Does that help with a date or just where it’s come from?. Charm is only 1.5cm tall and very difficult to photograph as I polished him :banghead:
    Thankyou :)
    F3CC721C-BC2A-427F-9272-BA201FFDB6C9.jpeg 57AFEB45-723D-4879-9508-E4FCD07896E2.jpeg

judy likes this.
  2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

I believe that is Nefertiti.

judy, Any Jewelry, kyratango and 4 others like this.
  3. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Lol, you are probably right. I just saw Egyptian and thought it must be Tut!.

Bronwen likes this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Not sure how it comes to look like a palm tree, but probably the 800 silver mark, which looks like a Greek upper case lambda followed by 1 or 2 dots. Typical of Egypt to mark so openly, instead of in some out of sight spot. Have seen marks right on a pharaoh's cheek.

5. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Having googled that looks likely. No wonder my palm tree search didn’t work.Does that mark date it at all or is it indeterminate?

Bronwen likes this.
  6. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Looks like the inexpensive Egyptian souvenir charms that were sold during the 1984 World Exposition held in New Orleans, Louisiana. They originally cost about twenty bucks and were sterling but hollow. I cannot remember seeing a palm tree or any mark, but I was never looking to buy one.

7. Bronwen

No, I'm afraid it's no help for dating. They had a system of date letters, & the national mark changed from a cat to a lotus blossom in 1946, but the fineness mark is the only one applied to every piece; many pieces do not have either of the other two.

Here's an 800 mark on the left & a post-1940 date letter on the right:

Egyptian date mark 1996-97 or 1946-47.jpg

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Cheeky!:playful:

The 600 mark looks a little more like a palm tree, to me at least. It is the one in the centre:
    [​IMG]
    The post-1946 national lotus mark, on the left, also looks a bit like a palm tree.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    Bronwen likes this.
  9. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Don’t know if this helps. I can’t really see the mark on yours and mine isn’t great either.
    ~ CC680039-265F-4C31-A812-B7EEF9527D7B.jpeg 2E444EC1-65CA-4F68-88F4-D07057E119D3.jpeg

i need help and Bronwen like this.
  10. Bronwen

You know your brooch is marked on the front as well as the back. Have seen this again & again, no concern that they had to squash one of the little balls to do it:

upload_2019-5-6_13-35-24.png

11. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

I hadn’t noticed that! Thanks Bronwen.

Draft saved Draft deleted