Featured Egyptian? Silver Cuff Bracelet?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Marie Forjan, Jan 23, 2024.

1. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Got this bracelet this week and am wondering if it's Egyptian. There is a tiny mark on the front, I tried my best to get a photo but it doesn't look like anything recognizable to me :(

No other marks, tests as silver. Thanks for any suggestions!

EgptnSCuffFt.jpg EgptnSCuffInside.jpg EgptnSCuffMark2.jpg

johnnycb09, Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Hmm. Could be Egyptian. Size & location of mark is typical. Scarab motif obviously consistent. Just went to look at my several Egyptian bracelets & think construction & ornamentation of yours are similar so, my best guess is that it is Egyptian. However, without a decipherable mark...

Dessert58 likes this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The style is very North African and those oval shapes could be scarabs. They could also be jars.;)
    It is probably Egyptian, but a better shot of the mark would be nice. I know that can be very difficult.

Bronwen likes this.
  4. Marie Forjan

Thank you both!

AJ, I don't think I can do better on the mark, it looks like it isn't struck well, like some of it is missing. And like I said I can't make anything out of it. If I could I would draw it, but I just don't see anything there except a blob :(

Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  5. Bronwen

upload_2024-1-23_16-5-44.png

This is the mark rotated 180. The dot in a rectilinear cartouche is consistent with an Egyptian 800 mark, which this may well be. Too bad there are no other marks. If this had been a panel bracelet there would have been one on every segment.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

what's going on on the underside......
    pieced together?
    falling apart??

Bronwen likes this.
  7. Marie Forjan

What do you mean by the under side, the inside?

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

exactly ...

9. Marie Forjan

Not falling apart. I showed it because it looked unusual to be. Bronwen said above "Just went to look at my several Egyptian bracelets & think construction & ornamentation of yours are similar so, my best guess is that it is Egyptian." @Bronwen did you mean the back when you referenced "the construction"?

komokwa and Bronwen like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I can't speak for Bronwen, but I have seen hundreds of North African bracelets, and this bracelet is North African in design, construction, and decoration.
    This style was copied by Italian makers, notably Florentine makers, but not in silver.

Bronwen likes this.
  11. Bronwen

Yes. I had the same reaction as komo did to the pic of the inside. I had not looked at my several pieces in a while & thought, incorrectly, that they were not 2-ply construction, but they are.

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  12. Marie Forjan

Thank you all! I will call it North African, possibly Egyptian, when I put it out for sale :)

Any Jewelry, Bronwen and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted