Featured Egyptian revival glass beads? not Neiger but are they of that era?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Elen Beattie, Nov 18, 2022.

1. Elen Beattie

Elen Beattie Well-Known Member

Hello all, happy Friday! I bought this necklace at auction; it was described as having "antique amythest glass beads" that had been used to create a necklace more recently (hence the modern lobster clasp etc). I asked someone who is pretty familiar with Neiger if these were by the brothers but sadly, they don't seem to have been. I wondered if you could tell me if they are from the 1920-30s period and perhaps their origin? Or equally if the beads are more modern, that would be great to know too. Thanks a lot!
    Image - 2022-11-18T152002.543.jpeg Image - 2022-11-18T151955.480.jpeg Image - 2022-11-18T152017.371.jpeg Image - 2022-11-18T152010.567.jpeg Image - 2022-11-18T152026.456.jpeg Image - 2022-11-18T152033.249.jpeg Image - 2022-11-18T152040.500.jpeg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Gorgeous!
    Looks like it to me, but costume is not my forte. But I would have bought it too.:)

Dessert58, kyratango, KSW and 4 others like this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

All of the spacer beads and the metal are more recent. The pharaoh head ...dunno. I don't know Neiger at all. It was probably originally hand-knotted most likely, and the string died. Happens.

4. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

5. Elen Beattie

ulilwitch and Roaring20s like this.
  6. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Roaring 20's found some great links! I do think the amethyst beads are older, likely Czech. The necklace has been redone as your were told, those are pretty cool beads!

7. Elen Beattie

I thought so too, thank you!

Roaring20s likes this.
  8. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I think those rectangular dimpled beads are really quite old. I’ve got some that are 20/30s with those and I’ve not seen them on newer stuff.
    The rest I don’t know but looks reorganised when restrung.
    It’s a stunning colour.
    I’d have to change that clasp though!
    The construction of the dangle at the bottom looks wrong for 20/30s but I’m absolutely not to be trusted!

9. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Found this. Have you put it on the Neiger FB group?
    61417807-2E66-4565-AEDE-747444DB9692.jpeg

Elen Beattie and kyratango like this.
  10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Someone has reused some fabulous Neiger beads.

11. Dessert58

Dessert58 Well-Known Member

Ownedbybear, yes, I think you are right: my first reaction when I saw the Sphinx bead: Neiger! Its good to see someone valued them enough so they got a new life this way.

KSW, Elen Beattie and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. Elen Beattie

I haven't but I'll look them up thank you!

KSW likes this.
  13. Elen Beattie

Thanks everyone! I really had hoped Neiger when I bought the necklace, or at least of that period beads. Appreciate your expertise :)

KSW likes this.
  14. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Neiger has a huge presence online and yet still seems amazingly affordable (compared to other types/makers of Egyptian Revival items). Obviously it's not exactly a 'sleeper',it's all over the web-but is it under-priced like much MCM was 30-40 years ago ?

KSW likes this.
  15. Elen Beattie

From what I can tell (only guessing really) is that a lot of it is likely not Neiger and wrongly attributed. But perhaps you're right, the over saturation of the market like so many things has probably brought the price down!

KSW likes this.
  16. bosko69

Exactly-not Neiger or over-saturation,who knows ? Seems reasonably priced to me.Of course all items trend value wise,they go up & down.

KSW and Elen Beattie like this.
  17. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The other examples of similar necklaces that have been found show a double dangle to go with the double drilled head. I'm guessing your necklace lost a dangle & someone cleverly rigged it so the remaining one is more centered.

Absolutely adore the color!

Elen Beattie likes this.
  18. Elen Beattie

A yes, great observation! I love the colour too, still so vibrant :)

Bronwen likes this.
  19. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Dunno about affordable, it's three figures here quite often.

Bronwen and Elen Beattie like this.
  20. bosko69

Bear-Affordable compared to many of the treasures shown here:a Flemish Cross or Tommy Singer Necklace. In the sense that it's coveted,identified and broadly collected-'Neiger' pops up a lot here.
    Most assuredly-$100-$300 is a lot to us now as retirees,but when we were both working-it was an easily doable birthday present.
    Now we save all our cans and bottles & cash 'em in for the deposit ($315 in the 'kitty').

Elen Beattie likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted