Egyptian papyrus signed, can anyone please tell me about this?

Discussion in 'Art' started by lisaS, Nov 22, 2021.

1. lisaS

lisaS Active Member

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

3. Bronwen

4. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

I have see alot of similar framed decorative and ‘tourist market’ ones around and for sale. Always very pleasant to look at but I would be very hesitant to spend any big money. I have family who also brought very ‘authentic’ looking but still just souvenir papyrus scroll paintings back from their travels.

5. lisaS

lisaS Active Member

Hi Bronwen, thanks for your quick response :) I bought this from a charity shop around 3 years ago, it was brought in from a house clearance it’s definitely hand painted I’ve been looking at it in great detail with my magnifier I use to look at my rocks( yes I’m a rock nerd)you can see all the imperfections eg: where the artist has gone a little over the lines with the colours

LauraGarnet02 and Bronwen like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
  7. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Funny enough the most recent ones I saw was also at a charity shop. Also looked hand painted to me and might very well have been (but I don’t think that matters much in this case)

lisaS, LauraGarnet02 and Bronwen like this.
  8. lisaS

lisaS Active Member

Thank you Boland :)
    Would a souvenir hand painted be so detailed? This person would have taken a long time to create this to sell so cheap,
    Or is that the norm?

9. Bronwen

Now, if what you want to know is what's going on in the scene... Thought at first they were catching birds but then saw they are fishing. Most I can say.

lisaS and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  10. lisaS

lisaS Active Member

11. Bronwen

Have you looked at post 3 & followed the link?

lisaS, LauraGarnet02 and Boland like this.
  12. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

I don’t know what the norm is..But I would still think ‘higher end’ souvenir.’ Have also seen some very nice detailed ones go for very cheap.. The ones my family got while on tour a few years ago were beautiful to look at.. There are other members on the forum that know a lot more than me :)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
    lisaS, Bronwen and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  13. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

14. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

We also see them here regularly. Egypt is a popular tourist destination for us Dutch, not too far away.
    Yes, and yes.;)

Bronwen and lisaS like this.
  15. lisaS

lisaS Active Member

Ahhhh!!! That is actually quite shocking like it was unearthed in a box

Bronwen likes this.
  16. lisaS

lisaS Active Member

Yes, unfortunately haha!!❤️

Bronwen likes this.
  17. lisaS

lisaS Active Member

Hi all‍♀️
    Well thank you everyone so much for taking the time to help me in my quest to find the holy grail haha!!! Saying that, it is still a beautiful picture and I’m sure someone will appreciate it more than I do❤️ If I do decide to sell it it will be a very modest price to start with on eBay……I promise not to buy a bag of £1.99 sand from the pound shop, dig a hole in my garden and do a photo shoot with the frame poking out of the grassy sand and put a £123,456,789 price tag on it
    Take care❤️

Bronwen likes this.
  18. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

In a lot of places, labor is so cheap that souvenir items are very often hand-made; hand-carved, hand-painted.
    It is one factor that sometimes leads buyers to believe that souvenirs or outright fakes are genuine antiquities. It can be hard to believe that anyone would put that much work into a souvenir or fake - but if labor is cheap, it can be very cost-effective to do so.

Any Jewelry, Bronwen and komokwa like this.
  19. lisaS

lisaS Active Member

:)Hi all_fakes,
    This is crazy because everything on it has been painstakingly hand painted I’ve looked into it with my magnifier I use to look at my rocks and you can see the mistakes they have made so I did discover it wasn’t a print. Hats off to them though as it must have been many hours of work, just a shame it isn’t measured in time how valuable it would be then. Exploitation at its finest…..ruthless! Well on the plus side I now know what the picture is about it’s Lord Mena Fishing and Hunting Egyptian papyrus. Someone was selling it on MarketMix but because it’s sold I couldn’t see what price they paid.
    Many thanks for your advice :)

Bronwen likes this.
  20. Bronwen

I imagine that when one worker paints the same scene repeatedly, they become faster at it than we think. Or they may do it as a production line, the piece passing from one worker to another, each specializing in a different aspect of the painting.

I had a tote bag I bought at a crafts show that used one of these paintings as the front panel. Probably bought in the late 1980s. When it wore out I went to the maker to order another one, & she had an assortment of these for me to choose from.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted