Ebay: 800 Silver Caviar Server, bowl and spoons

Discussion in 'Sell' started by XdebugX, Jan 2, 2017.

1. XdebugX

XdebugX New Member

I'm interested in selling my 800 (80% silver) caviar server. It is a pedestal bowl with slots in the rim in which you can set the spoons. Originally it had 12 spoons, but I only have 11 now. caviar bowl.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/142231375622?

lloyd249 likes this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

This is not a caviar dish.
    This is a sugar bowl.

Need to see a picture of the marks. Suspect the bowl is silver plate.
    Also picture of the marks on the spoon.

3. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

I have never seen caviar served or eaten with silver - it turns black faster than you can blink. That looks more like a sugar bowl with "racked" spoons..............but I could be wrong

4. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Ha! I was tyoing when I saw that some had posted before me - SNIPED by Cluttered!!!!

5. clutteredcloset49

Should have mentioned that caviar is never served in silver as the sulpher from the caviar tarnishes the silver. Also the silver can impair the taste of caviar.

6. clutteredcloset49

However, you got the silver and tarnish in before I could.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  7. XdebugX

XdebugX New Member

Oh, ok, the person who sold it to me said it was a caviar server. But I also read online that they rarely use silver because like you said, it changes the taste of the caviar and tarnishes the silver.

Here is a few better pictures of the marks, you can see the 800 mark clearly, but I'll try to get a better picture of the Hallmark tmrw. Thanks!

Christmasjoy, lloyd249 and Figtree3 like this.
  8. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

9. XdebugX

XdebugX New Member

Thanks quirkygirl. I think "confiturier" is a french term, the definitions I'm finding for it is "A Jam bowl". Is this accurate?

lloyd249 likes this.
  10. clutteredcloset49

I suggest you polish where the mark is. It will make it easier to read.
    Actually if you polish the whole thing it will look better and you will get a better price.

11. hamptonauction

hamptonauction Well-Known Member

I agree, a confiturier, and they usually have a cover

XdebugX and lloyd249 like this.
  12. quirkygirl

Correct, that is how I've seen them defined too, but also read that were used as sugar bowls ... as I have never personally seen any in use at a meal, I cannot say how they were actually put into service.

... and as hamptonauction noted, they are usually shown with lids.

Christmasjoy, XdebugX and lloyd249 like this.
  13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

A sugar bowl has a sugar spoon.
    all those spoons would suggest jam......cuz yer gonna lick that spoon......so it's yours !
    :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

14. XdebugX

XdebugX New Member

Thanks. This is probably a stupid question, but do you have any suggestions on the best way to polish silver?

15. clutteredcloset49

No questions are stupid, if you don't know the answer. Better to ask, than mess up.

I use a lot of different things depending on the item and tarnish.
    First I would wash in hot sudsy water, with a little ammonia in it.

On this piece I would use Mother's aluminum polish found in the automotive department. I do not recommend Mother's for plated materials as it sometimes takes the thin plating off.
    Be sure the cloth you use is soft, not T shirt material, that often scratches.
    Afterwards wash with Dawn dishwasher detergent.
    The base is going to take some elbow grease, as it looks pretty tarnished.

Wait and see if anyone has better ideas. Then you can decide what you want to try.

16. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I use Hagerty silversmith gloves ....

Aquitaine likes this.
  17. quirkygirl

This is my favorite silver polish - safe for plated wares as long as only gentle, light pressure is used when rubbing
    [​IMG]
    but on heavy, dark black tarnish that has built up over several years, I use a dab of this on a soft cloth - not safe for plated wares as it also has the ability to remove fine scratches
    [​IMG]

Aquitaine likes this.
  18. XdebugX

XdebugX New Member

800mark.jpg hallmark.jpg

Finally got some decent pictures of the Hallmarks. The 800 mark is obvious, but does anyone recognize the other mark?

19. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Ah! That last picture shows a partial Italian mark for a maker in Firenza (Florence). Edit: Post WW2. 1944 - 1968.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    XdebugX likes this.
  20. XdebugX

XdebugX New Member

Thanks Bakersgma, looks like an 83FI mark to me, is that what you would say? According to this list of Italian makers marks, http://www.silvercollection.it/SILVERSMITHSFI1.html It would be by BETTARINI CORRADO Via E.G. Florio 4 FIRENZE 22/5/1935 out before 1949

Draft saved Draft deleted