Earthenware Vessel

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kardinalisimo, Feb 25, 2016.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

About 17 1/2" tall. I doubt that it is terrible old but I wonder if it can have some age or more recent reproduction? Not sure if that hole in the body is original or was made later and for what reason.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

The hole MIGHT BE accidental, where a piece of clay contaminant blew out in the kiln. It appears to have been reamed out a bit further after the firing. This hole is probably the reason it was never glazed. It looks like student work and not like the Italian pot Gila has shown.

Nope, no slackin' here! ;)

4. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

I'm sure it is less than 100 years old. The hole was man (or woman)-made.

5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Would the hole be a 'vent' hole so it wouldn't 'burp' when pouring????:sorry::cyclops:

6. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

I'd guess not since there's already a hole more than big enuf in the top, but my knowledge of pottery is miniscule.

7. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I really think the hole is just a kiln "blow out" and not intentional.
    Looks like student work.

8. Brenda Anna

Brenda Anna Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if it could be a garden fountain...

Draft saved Draft deleted