Featured Early Peters & Reed vase?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by UncleChuckTX, Oct 27, 2023.

1. UncleChuckTX

UncleChuckTX Well-Known Member

Happy Halloween, everyone! I don't have a P&R book, and am confused by what info I can find on the internet and other examples of this vase. I also think this might be the first piece of P&R I've ever found.

This is just shy of 7.5" tall, and 5" in diameter at the rim. The only other examples I have found have a thick dry foot ring with light-colored clay. I read about P&R using red clay early in their production, but can't find any info about when/if they changed from using the kiln stilts to the dry foot technique. If it has a dry foot ring, is it technically a Zane (or even Gondor) piece?

1698425665568.JPEG
    1698425665672.JPEG
    1698425665535.JPEG
    1698425665626.JPEG

For comparison - this one from eBay is listed as P&R "Pereco". You can really see the difference in the foot ring and the difference in color the clay gives the green glaze.

s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600321.jpg

stracci, cxgirl, pearlsnblume and 4 others like this.
  2. Joe in PA

Joe in PA Well-Known Member

I've got the Sanford Peters and Reed book but don't see that exact pattern or shape, but that doesn't mean its not. BTW - I believe yours is not red clay- you are seeing a first coat of glaze that is reddish. The tip-off is the white clay under the stilts!

3. Joe in PA

Here's one that sold on Invaluable that's like yours

upload_2023-10-27_15-4-30.png

4. UncleChuckTX

Thanks very much! I appreciate your looking in your book and finding the Invaluable examples. I searched trying to find confirmation of the "Pereco" line name, and none of those popped up in my results.

cxgirl likes this.
  5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I looked through my Peters & Reed book also by Sanford but I've no idea if there is more than one book and I also don't know diddly about Peters & Reed.

From what I'm seeing, the Pereco glazes and the bases do sound a lot like yours though I don't see you shape. I've put the description of it last in the photos. I also found a similarly molded piece in something called Ivy Cream. There is a similar vase in "matte green" that goes on to explain that molds from other lines were used in making. A line called Persian that has a similar mold (but not in green I don't think). You can see what you think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]0

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2023
  6. Joe in PA

Nice work!

say_it_slowly and cxgirl like this.
  7. UncleChuckTX

Thank you! That's so nice of you to share the info you found in your book. I appreciate it.

I'll admit that after reading I feel a little silly - before I posted the vase here I spent at least 15 minutes in Google Translate trying to figure out what language "Pereco" was, and why I couldn't get its meaning in English. :hilarious:

Figtree3 and say_it_slowly like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted