Early Corner Cupboard - info and values sought

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Sean M Anderson, Jan 3, 2022.

1. Sean M Anderson

Sean M Anderson New Member

Looking for values and resources to fully identify the corner cupboard we recently bought. We believe it is potentially a Swisegood School piece due to some of the features and came out of the Stanley/Davidson County NC area (Swisegood was in Davidson County)
    Construction is very well executed, and appears to be walnut with pine shelves.
    We've researched MESDA, and while there are a lot of Swisegood similarities (lock embossing, overall shape, overall build), there are differences we haven't been able to reconcile like the fluted columns vs barber twist style and feet with a slight "bulge" to them.
    Doors are mortise and tenon with pegs, and right side doors originally had handles with a 2 3/8" center to center distance.
    Size is 54" wide and approximately 7' tall. We think there may have been a detail above the crown, as the crown sits about an inch below the top.
    Interesting items are the odd stile-to-rail joint (I've never seen this style before - I feel like it in itself would lead me to the maker), dovetailed door stops, and the rear, finished, overlap board.
    The iron backspring locks are fairly unique - I've only found references to similar at this link that date them at around 1780.

https://pegsandtails.wordpress.com/...j_2EBHYuGsscgKqcZzY9LDJ7O61x0c9PqZe289IgfLl3Q

Original glass was replaced (fortunately I have a stash of old glass to replace it all)

I'll add additional photos in comments 20211009_193634.jpg

Born2it and kyratango like this.
  2. Sean M Anderson

20211205_163119.jpg 20211205_163135.jpg 20211205_163140.jpg 20211205_163144.jpg 20211205_163202.jpg 20211205_163221.jpg 20211205_163226.jpg 20211205_163253.jpg 20211205_163309.jpg Additional photos

3. Sean M Anderson

4. Sean M Anderson

5. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice corner cupboard.....

with brown furniture being depressed in value these days....but where a special item may still command a premium.....it is next to impossible to offer any reliable fair market value......

Hopefully we can point you in a direction to compare your items with others that are for sale or have sold in the not to distant past.....for you to have a basis for coming up with a possible price range.

Other than that , this is a discussion site....not a values site.

BoudiccaJones, Figtree3, judy and 2 others like this.
  7. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Well, first impression is first half 19th-century one-piece walnut corner cupboard although can't tell much with the photos provided. Many are fuzzy and too small, can't tell if the fluted quarter columns are cut by hand or machine. The molding below the crown is dentil molding? again, can't tell with the pics here. What about the nails, what kind are they? The lack of any period glass hurts the value for sure, are the hinges replaced? looks like surface-mounted hinges originally and the 2 center backboards, look like a different species than yellow pine and, they shouldn't be. Seems to be yellow pine secondary which suggests mid-Atlantic or southern origin.
    Where did you get it?
    Generally speaking, values on antique brown furniture aren't great at the moment. Without a signature or provenance, it's going to be tough to attribute to a maker.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
  8. Born2it

Born2it Well-Known Member

Kudos for lots of good pictures, and for having a stash of old glass you plan to use for repair.

(I’m not a hoarder, I just like to be prepared! Really!)

Draft saved Draft deleted