Featured Early 20th c. (?) Silver Circle Necklace: Maker/Style/Date?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by mirana, Feb 14, 2024.

1. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

I loved the design of this 15" silver necklace and had to pick it up. It is only marked "Sterling" on the solid-trigger joint spring clasp and again on the connecting ring. I can't find a maker mark anywhere. What do ya'll think for style, date, or maker (if any lol :cyclops:)? Modernist? Early 20th c.? I can't seem to find anything like it yet...

Silver Circle Choker 1sm.jpg

Silver Circle Choker 2sm.jpg

Silver Circle Choker 3sm.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

interesting!!!
    I'd think it's all sterling...

3. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

4. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

The spring clasp is an early one, the silver seems to be the same color in the necklace and it shows traces of thick old tarnish (if I see well:cyclops::joyful:) in some places. I think early 20th.

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Gorgeous, mirana.:happy:
    Totally understandable.:)
    Both.:playful:
    We tend to forget that Modernism began in the 1890s. The period we associate with Modernism, the 1950s and 60s, is actually late Modernism, when Post-Modernist design elements were already starting to show.

The style looks a bit German. Not saying it definitely is, but quite a few early 20th century German manufacturers marked their jewellery 'sterling' etc for export.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2024
  6. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

I think so too, but the tarnish is being a biiiitch to get off. :arghh:

Thank you!

I've already had one round of trying to polish it's little 3D shapes and it is not being easy for me! It's definitely the old, ornery kind of tarnish. Thanks!

Yayyy, I'm glad others think it's pretty too. Sometimes I'm not sure if it's as nicely designed as I think and it's good to have company! :shame: It reminds me of planets and infinity symbols.

I did think it was both, but I'm not as versed in it as y'all are so I wait for confirmation lol. I'm still more generalist knowledge on antique/vintage jewelry and slowly learning more specialized areas. :bag:

IF it was German export, does that narrow the date window? Pre or inter-wars? Both? I guess without a country of origin mark (or comparable item with known origin/designer) it's a moot point... but I'll keep it in mind if I go hunting for new jewelry books to read. :bookworm: Thank you!!

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

What is the little 3D shapes you are trying to polish? Some things are simple if you use the right technique.

8. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

The half domes, the figure eights... Not a lot on this is flat. I cleaned first, then tried both glass cleaner and then Blitz with cotton per Jeffery Herman's site. Silver cloth as well. Blitz has done the job eventually on other pieces, but it can take some time, and it's difficult with all the little links and non-flat areas on this. :dead:

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Both.

mirana likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted