Featured EAPG? Rabbit on Nest

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by dgbjwc, Jul 27, 2021.

1. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hello everyone - I'm having a little trouble pinning down the time frame and the manufacturer for this rabbit on the nest. The base measures 5 1/2" across and 1 3/4" tall. The top measures 4 3/4" across and about 2" tall. I think it's older. There is a hint of blue around the edges and the rabbit is sitting on a faint ground of flowers and grass. The base looks a bit like Westmoreland Specialty but Westmoreland's dish was a different shape. I checked my covered animal dish book but couldn't turn it up. I also couldn't turn anything up on a web search. Any help on who and when would be much appreciated. Thank you.
    Don IMG_20210727_163137082.jpg IMG_20210727_163158618.jpg IMG_20210727_163238612.jpg IMG_20210727_163258834.jpg IMG_20210727_163309448.jpg

2. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

There used to be an entire huge website devoted entirely to glass covered animal dishes. I wonder if it's still online, I can't find it with a search.

3. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    Darkwing Manor, judy, dgbjwc and 6 others like this.
  4. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Just a guess Mosser?
    BTW very nice photos.

5. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

The blue tint around the edges qualifies this as opaline glass, is that the right term? If you hold it up in the sunlight you get flashes of electric blue, fiery orange and some subtle hints of pink.

I have a little toothpick holder with the blue tints around the edges that I bought solely because I had seen it on the old eBay boards. I just pulled back the curtain on the west window and held it up to the sunlight. It's been a long time since I've done that, but I remembered all that fiery color just right!

dgbjwc, judy, DizzyDaff and 1 other person like this.
  6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Difficult to say there are blue tints around the edges when it has been photographed against a blue background.

dgbjwc, judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  7. DizzyDaff

DizzyDaff Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.

LauraGarnet02, judy and dgbjwc like this.
  8. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thank you for all the responses. I'm starting to think that it's a marriage. I have added a picture below that catches the type of fire that shows at the edges of the base (although it's still not a great picture). The problem is I can't find any signs of that fire in the lid. Plus, while the lid sits okay it's not as tight as it could be. I may have a Westmoreland base and a McKee or National lid. With the possibility of a marriage in mind I'm going to go back and review the evidence. Mosser seems unlikely because of the detail and the fire, and I've handled a lot of the Indiana Glass rabbits and they are cute but not quite the same shape and I'm not sure if they did them in milk glass. I've also never seen any Indiana Glass milk glass with fire. As always your guidance has been incredibly helpful and with every possibility I learn more.

IMG_20210728_103458679.jpg

9. R. Antonis

R. Antonis Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Just came acroos this post.

I'd say "opaline foire or opaline de foire", that's a poor man's opaline glass.

Maker could be Vallerystahl Portieux.
    (Without looking it up, I hope I spelled it right)

Draft saved Draft deleted