EAPG Pressed Glass Green Button Pattern Novelty Toothbrush Holder

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by moreotherstuff, Jun 21, 2014.

1. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I suppose it's wrong to call this EAPG, as it is unlikely to be part of a larger toothbrush-themed pattern. But if it is American and from the period, that's what I'll probably call it. Have to figure a toothbrush holder is what it is. . It stands 4 ¾” high to the top of a brush handle, and measures about 2 3/8” across at the top rim. Does anybody know the who and when?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bridgets628

Bridgets628 Member

found several of them stated as being made by US glass late 1800's early 1900's

It is listed in Sandford & Sandford, Victorian Glass Novelties, p. 187.
    Pattern name "toothbrush"

EAPG is Early American pressed glass, I dont see what this wouldnt qualify.

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Thanks for that.

I was under the impression that EAPG stood for Early American Pattern Glass.

4. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

this EAPG era toothbrush holder was made by U. S. Glass. Yes, EAPG = Early American Pattern Glass. The "Pattern" is important as to be considered EAPG it must be part of an extended service set or 'part of a pattern'. Individual pieces that are not of an extended set are typically considered EAPG or Victorian era.

Bridgets628 and SKCCOAST like this.
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Since the maker and age of this is known, there should be enough keywords available that it won't be necessary to say EAPG. The purpose of a title is to get people who might be interested to take a look, and I confess that I am willing to bend the rules to do it.

6. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

I'm personally not opposed to the use of EAPG for these items. Most interested collectors know the difference in a pattern piece and a one-of-a-kind, and accept that it is EAPG era.

7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Some people get upset. (I once had a auction pulled because someone reported my use of the phrase "Eames Era". Must have been specifically reported because 5000 other "Eames Era" postings remained untouched.)

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
  8. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

9. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Lets not fight over pattern and pressed a better term is Victorian Novelty which is what Bob S uses. Still no problem if it is listed in the EAPG catagory as that is where folks will look for it.

10. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

Nifty piece whatever you call it. Looks to be in outstanding condition too.

11. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

But can it be a Victorian novelty if it was made in the U.S.?

(It just goes on and on, doesn't it.)

12. Bridgets628

Bridgets628 Member

sorry if I started anything here :). Its been quite a while since Ive actually listed any EAPG glass, I honestly don't think I ever knew the difference. I've always used both terms. Appreciate the education!!
    FYI, the date for this piece was unknown in
    Sandford & Sandford, Victorian Glass Novelties. Dates I mentioned were only what I saw in the few I looked at.

13. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

U. S. Glass Co. made this green color primarily in the 1898-1901 period, certainly not before that, and any sales after 01 probably were of old stock.

Bridgets628 likes this.
  14. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Thanks for that, Cherryhill. Certainly narrows down the time frame.

Draft saved Draft deleted