Featured EAPG Covered Cheese Dish and Peachblow or Burmese?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ola402, Apr 26, 2018.

1. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Hi All, I'll start with the maybe Peachblow glass. It came in a lot of old tumblers, but it doesn't look like a tumbler to me. Maybe, part of something else? I looked in my book on Peachblow and there's some glass in there that looks similar. This piece is mostly pink satin fading to white at the base. Mt. Washington made glass similar to this, but it also reminds me a little of Fenton burmese. The item measures 3 1/2" high, diameter at the top is 2 5/8" and it has a pontil scar on the bottom. Anyone know what it is and who made it? Here are photos:

DSCF1231.jpg DSCF1232.jpg DSCF1233.jpg DSCF1234.jpg

This next item is an EAPG Covered Cheese dish. I thought it would be easy to ID because of the zipper pattern, but so far, no success. The underplate measures 8 1/2" in diameter white the cheese top measures 7" in diameter. it's 5 1/2" high. Does anyone know the pattern and maker, pls? TY!

DSCF1235.jpg

DSCF1237.jpg
    DSCF1238.jpg
    DSCF1239.jpg
    DSCF1236.jpg

2. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

judy likes this.
  3. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Ok, I'll look over there and see if they have it. THNX!

judy likes this.
  4. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

looks to be Richards & Hartley 'Cobb' c1885
    AKAs: Zipper; Late Sawtooth

yes, it has a different finial/knob compared to the butter. However, more that one knob isn't unheard of and you must also compare all motifs in the pattern; such as zipper/herringbone, diamond grid and rib & columns/panels... the ball/knob of the pedestaled creamer, spooner and celery have the herringbone motif as in the finial of this cheese dome.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    judy likes this.
  5. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Could be, here's what I have on R & H's Cobb.
    Cobb.jpg
    The finial's different. As you said. Wish I had more cat image pix.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  6. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Wow! Thanks Don and cherryhill! It looks just like Cobb after seeing Tom's images. The plate is curious however. It has the same zipper motif around the edge but I didn't expect that diamond pattern in the center. Then I see what appears to be a small diamond pattern in the finial on the butter above.

Can't thank you enough! I looked at every butter/cheese dish on the eapg site that George referenced. Also looked in my EAPG Table Sets book, McCain, Metz. Table pieces are difficult for me due to the differences that you just mentioned.

Draft saved Draft deleted