Featured EAPG Compote (sun-purpled) ID?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by moreotherstuff, Apr 23, 2016.

1. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

This has considerable sun-purpling. I know that some people consider that damage but, in this instance, I find it quite attractive. The compote stands 12 ¼” to top of lid’s finial and is about 7” side to side. Foot measures about 5 ½” across the tab feet, about 4 ¾” across between the feet. The stem is hollow. ID?
    EAPGPressedGlassCompoteRallCrownFinialTabFeetHollowStem-a.jpg

EAPGPressedGlassCompoteRallCrownFinialTabFeetHollowStem-b.jpg

EAPGPressedGlassCompoteRallCrownFinialTabFeetHollowStem-c.jpg

EAPGPressedGlassCompoteRallCrownFinialTabFeetHollowStem-d.jpg

EAPGPressedGlassCompoteRallCrownFinialTabFeetHollowStem-e.jpg

EAPGPressedGlassCompoteRallCrownFinialTabFeetHollowStem-f.jpg

Lucille.b, cxgirl, tyeldom3 and 8 others like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

It's very lovely !!
    & purple is the flavor of the month !!!

3. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

Adams & Co. 'Clear Ribbon' c1881
    too bad it's 'sun purpled' tho' some do like it that way...

Lucille.b, cxgirl, tyeldom3 and 3 others like this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Thank you, Tallcakes!

5. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Without looking it up - glass in the 1930's was made with magnesium in it and the sun turned clear glass slightly purple. I collect lighting rod balls that have turned a slight shade of purple -

000_6977.jpg

6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Rayo,
    The manganese was first used commercially in 1906 to make clear glass. The sun purpling was first done by the sun and natural like your lighting ball collection. I have several glass door knobs that have sun purpled. Back in the 70s people started to fake purpling and made some really dark things.
    greg

Rayo56 and tyeldom3 like this.
  7. TallCakes

as I understand it: up to the time of the Civil War flint/lead glass was the prevalent clarifying agent in glass. As the increased need for lead was diverted to the war efforts other clarifying agents began to be used in glass, and this is the time manganese started being used. This explains why black light test may help in differentiating EAPG era glass from later reproduction, as other clarifying agents (like selenium) began being used around 1915 at the end of the EAPG era. Manganese was/is still used by some glass makers, so the black light test isn't a panacea for determining EAPG.

Lucille.b and tyeldom3 like this.
  8. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi TallCakes,
    Thanks for the "clarification". I always was taught that the manganese was used as an additive to canning jars. It just stuck in my memory.
    greg

9. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

The primary source of manganese was Germany. When we entered WW1 it was no longer available and other clarifies were fond.

10. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

11. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

Very pretty. People out there seek out sun purpled.

12. TallCakes

for purple lovers, just change the name to "Purple Ribbon"...

Draft saved Draft deleted