Dutch Pencil Sketch?

Discussion in 'Art' started by DonH, Jul 9, 2021.

1. DonH

DonH New Member

Hello,
    Could someone help identify the location and artist in this pencil sketch? I believe it is a Dutch harbor scene but maybe not. It has been in the family for at least 100 years old. There is some foxing on the thick parchment paper. It has been under glass. Overall it measures 10-1/2" x 14". The actual sketch measures 5-3/4" x 7-3/4". I have enhanced the signature and title on a separate photo. Thank you for any information. pencil sketch front.jpg pencil sketch signature.jpg

Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  2. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

It is an etching.

Any Jewelry, Debora and Bakersgma like this.
  3. DonH

DonH New Member

I looked with a 4x loupe it has a plate impression and there are no dots in the image.

4. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Each etching is hand inked and printed from a metal plate. No need for semi tones and dots, it's not a lithograph type of print.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  5. DonH

DonH New Member

Thank you both for the information. It's good to know how it was made. Any ideas on the country, wording or artist? I see a ML on the bottom.

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The signature is also of someone whose initials would be ML. Miriam Linder?
    The second word in the title looks like 'um' or 'am', both of which are German. Many German place names have the word 'am' in them, like Frankfurt am Main.

7. David Broom

David Broom Active Member

Sticking on the German theme Heinrich Maier-Lindi painted a lot of lakeside scenes. He signed his paintings differently and I can't track down any of his etchings to see if he signed with a monogram.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. DonH

DonH New Member

That make sense since my father came from Germany.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted