Duncan Phyfe Sofa, when was it made?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Luchadoraoflove, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Luchadoraoflove

Luchadoraoflove New Member

We have a family inherited Duncan Phyfe sofa remake. We need help determining when it was made and who made it. Here are some photos of the sofa.

It has foam in the seat cushions.

Attached Files:

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

1970's or so? Looks mid-late 20th century to me. Label is usually visible when you pull up the middle seat cushion, but I assume you don't see one there or underneath? If not don't think you'll figure who made it since the style was kind of generic. Pictures underneath showing legs and upholstery innards may help date it a little more exactly.

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Back in 1970 I went to Good Will and purchased an old beat up Duncan Phyfe sofa.
    It cost 23 dollars had it recovered got rid of the old horsehair stuffing and numerous springs. Covered it in dark gray silk. Had two side pillows made. The recovering cost me 250 dollars. Sold it in 1989 for 3 thousand. The silk had faded to a pale gray by then. Check the feet the older ones were brass, the newer ones were brass plated.
    greg

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Think probably 40s-50s but reupholstered at some point. Probably impossible to find who made it without a label.

judy and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted