Duncan Phyfe DR Table & Chairs

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Alesia42, Sep 27, 2021.

1. Alesia42

Alesia42 Active Member

Hi!....Ive been eyeing this dinning room table...it looks like a Duncan Phyfe table.....it has 6 chairs , 1 has arms....they seem to be in very good condition...only one cushion needs repair.....I do have a Duncan Phyfe Drop leaf Table that I purchased a few months ago...(for a project)....but this one is in much better condition and comes with the center extension leaf....but if someone can tell me if this is a reproduction?...age? if the wood is mahogany?...and are the chairs original to the table set?...if someone can shed some light on this that would be great!.... rsz_duncan_phyfe_dr_table_w_leaf_&_6_chairs_149_005.jpg rsz_duncan_phyfe_dr_table_w_leaf_&_6_chairs_149_007.jpg rsz_duncan_phyfe_dr_table_w_leaf_&_6_chairs_149_009.jpg rsz_duncan_phyfe_dr_table_w_leaf_&_6_chairs_149_008.jpg

judy likes this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

No idea. I'd be thinking 1920s or 1930s until clearer pictures come along. The feet look like they're too new to be a really old set although this may be antique too by now.

James Conrad, johnnycb09 and judy like this.
  3. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yes, it is.

Bakersgma, sabre123 and judy like this.
  4. James Conrad

Guesses more likely post WWII, 1940s-1950s.
    One thing for sure, not period Phyfe which was the 1790s-1830s or so. This Phyfe "neoclassical" style is probably the most copied in 20th century America followed by "colonial revival" in the # 2 spot.
    Wait for Brad to post as he handles this era of furniture a lot and knows it well.

judy, wiscbirddog and Bakersgma like this.
  5. evelyb30

The feet looked just like the set my grandparents bought in 1946, but a lot of the stuff sold then was pre-War designs and often pre-War hardware. Color, construction, everything dead on. They made them that way before the War and kept making it for a while after that until factories could retool. I didn't want to say 50s without seeing if the table is veneer.

judy and James Conrad like this.
  6. James Conrad

Yes, I don't think it matters much whether pre-war or after war value-wise, they have been making Phyfe repro's since he was buried in the mid 19th century.
    Very influential cabinetmaker here, a hard-headed Scot immigrant. He didn't create any new designs but his adaptations of neoclassical furniture designs were very popular during his day and continue even now.
    Photos are not the best either, something/someone moved on the last one.:snaphappy::oops:

judy likes this.
  7. evelyb30

Dining room sets are a tough sell these days regardless, unless it's something really high end - say legit Chippendale. Even then it's probably a down market. The design on this is perfectly fine, but I wouldn't expect it to bring real money.

judy and James Conrad like this.
  8. James Conrad

Indeed, VERY tough sell in my area, dining rooms in general, are on the endangered species list here. :dead:

judy likes this.
  9. evelyb30

The local ReStore breaks them up and does manage to sell them. Eventually. Lacquer furniture sells the quickest for whatever reason.

10. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

Agree with James on this one....We have sold a couple of sets pretty much like this and I know one of them was from the late 1940's. Selling a dining room set takes a lot of salesmanship these days. Think we bought one in the 1980's for $150 with six chairs and two leaves. Sold it in 2015 for $250 and felt fortunate to do that.

wiscbirddog and James Conrad like this.
  11. Alesia42

Alesia42 Active Member

Coincidentally enough...this DR set with 6 chairs,Table &1 leaf was going for $149.99.....so I will leave it where it is....Thanks!

12. evelyb30

I recently saw a country-made 19th century 3-board top drop leaf with a burl wood veneer drawer sell for ... $75. It you went out to buy the wood to make the table you'd probably have to shell out close to $1000 if not more. Wide board cherry and mahogany. And... $75. That told me all I ever wanted to know about the current market for dining room furniture.

13. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Late to the party but agree with the others. 40s mahogany reproduction. Chairs are Adam shield style but could have come with the set. Makers mixed and matched styles pretty readily.

While the $150.00 may not be a complete bargain, where else are you going to get a nice table with 6 chairs in good condition? I also think not having to complete your project table, without leaf, is worth something. For $150.00 you could have something to use immediately that is better than what you would have if you complete your project table and have to purchase chairs.

Draft saved Draft deleted