Drop Leaf Table, Arts & Crafts?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by mr2real, Jan 2, 2015.

1. mr2real

mr2real Active Member

This is other interesting piece I found on a local online yard sale. It is advertised as antique. The asking price is $50 (I paid like $150 for my run of the mill center leaf table from the 1980's). Unfortunately the owner painted it shabby chic. She describes the shabby chic as "chalkpainted and distress", so maybe it could be restore without having to refinish it? The form is similar to piece by notable makers during the Arts & Crafts period. The shaved edges makes me think 60's or 70's. Any thought are appreciated.

Here is an example with similar feet with a cross board.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPERB-rare-LIMBERT-inlay-table-Stickley-era-w1914-/231433310284

table.jpg

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call this "Arts & Crafts" at all. Typical "early American" of the 60s and 70s from what I remember of furniture shopping during that time myself. Maybe even more recent from what I can see. Thick pine that probably had a very dark stain when made.

I think this shape is called a "trestle table."

Geez, what was this person thinking with that horrible "refinish" job. :eek:

yourturntoloveit and gregsglass like this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'd agree - the ones here were light or natural pine, but 1970s to me.

4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I agree with the above posters 1970s, not Arts and Crafts.

And from what I've read about making your own chalk paint by adding plaster of paris, I'm not so sure it will be easy to strip. You would be better to repaint it.

$50 is too high for resale.

5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I'm with the others on this. I worked for an unfinished furniture store in the 80's and we were still selling furniture like this then. By the 90s, it was pretty much gone (as was the whole unfinished furniture industry).

6. Ownedbybear

I'd offer twenty five, if you really want it. Then use an orbital sander to take it back to bare wood. Wax it.

7. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

I'd just pass.

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd run the other way; it was originally stained dark and probably made in the early 70s. A friend started buying it at yard sales for not much in the mid-70s to furnish her first house. Unpainted it would be worth what they're asking. As it is, it just looks like more work.

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

IMG_1004.JPG

IMG_1002.JPG

Sorry about the grainy pics but those tablets don't always take the best shots.

Still, I have the same questions about my simple drop leaf.
    I came with my chair from the upstate NY auction & has served me well for years .

10. Ownedbybear

1940s. Decent solid everyday table.

11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That oak came back around in the 80s, so it's hard to be sure from here. Looks like a gamer though. I was in the local ReStore today putzing around and saw one of those metal top tables with a wood base going for not much. Too bad I don't have the need for a kitchen table. They're not pretty, but those enamel top things are pretty well kill-proof. They had several 60s laminate top tables too. They were meant to last a long time and have. Pretty is good. Durable is better.

12. verybrad

This second table is in the arts and crafts style. Whether it is period or not can't be told from these pics.

13. komokwa

What pics would you need?
    Hardware ?
    Joints ? ( the wood kind ...:rolleyes:)

Provenance would be nice, & it was the last lot of a solid native art collection....but alas...no papers.

14. verybrad

Dimensions to start, including thickness of the top. Pics of both the underside of the top and the bottom of the shelf, including hardware.

15. komokwa

I'm on it.......uhh...during half-time !!!

16. Ownedbybear

One of the reasons I think 40s is that heart shape cut out. Absolutely typical.

17. verybrad

The cut out bothers me a bit as well in terms of whether or not this is older. It is not a true heart but pretty close. There was a company that used similar shaped cut-outs but on a table like this probably would not have placed it so low.

18. Ownedbybear

Ah, OK. I've seen them here like that of about that age, but your makers may vary. ;)

19. komokwa

Ahh, life..& weather !!!
    Pouring rain, ice rain...on 7 inches of new snow...meant I had to be outside to clear it and de ice the walk and driveway before the big freeze.
    & yes....not ten minutes out and I fell on the ice hard!
    Missed most of the Cowboys game !

Today , we were out again deicing & dealing with snow the hardness of concrete !

I'll have new pics and sizes , along with an OLD mystery piece you'll get a kick out of...tomorrow.

20. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

I love almost ANY drop leaf table, so practical...:cat:

Draft saved Draft deleted