Dressing Table

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Jyppe, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Jyppe

Jyppe New Member

dresserrose.jpg Hello everybody. I am new here. I restore and upcycle furniture as a hobby in Australia. I love Art Deco dressers.
    I am restoring one at the momentbut I can't seem to find out when it was made. I would say 30's but i can't find anything similar. Can anyone help ?
    It's almost finished, there's a big mirror at the back and handles are in bakelite.
    It has a stamp inside and the plywood comes from Hancock Bros in QLD Australia.
    Thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2021
    johnnycb09 likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Hi! Hi! I've taken the liberty of reposting your photograph as Full Image so it's easier for everyone to see. (You'll want to make sure and do that in the future.)

Debora

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

If it was American I'd say late 1930s, but if this was exported to Australia I haven't a clue. It looks more Moderne than Deco to me, but a real expert will be along shortly. (as often as not I'm just talking through my hat .. or Jyppe's hat in this case.)

4. Jyppe

Jyppe New Member

5. Jyppe

Jyppe New Member

That’s with the mirror.
    From my research it’s from the 30´s but I can’t find anywhere any similar dresser.

6. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Just fixing the orientation of the dresser.

F7524C2A-4E85-424C-ACB8-77AF3523D320.jpeg

7. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Do you have the missing doors?

8. Jyppe

Jyppe New Member

Yes. Just finished it. tofforumfini.jpg

9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Neat piece. I would be on board with a 30s date.

10. evelyb30

With the doors and mirror .... yowza.

11. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

12. Jyppe

Jyppe New Member

Thanks everyone. I was told that it might be 50's as 30's would have tongue and groove joinery, which is not the case, it's dove tail... I was also told that there was not much manufacturing in the 40's, so, maybe late 40's or 50's...

13. evelyb30

Could be barely post-war for sure. They made new stuff here as soon as they could, but the designs didn't change for commercial furniture for a few years.

Draft saved Draft deleted