Dresser Base/Sideboard, Georgian?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Resident, Jul 30, 2022.

1. Resident

Resident New Member

Hi
    Recently came across this, looking to restore it but want to check what it is first.

supposedly it was brought out of Germany around ww11 and was an heirloom then passed onto another family.
    If that’s not true then it’s at least that old and possibly from portugal or spain, a signiture on the top (under the surface that was removed, says Furnando or at least thats what it looks like)

I was told mahogany but looks like dark oak to me.
    Structural members are a single large dovetail joint very neat but look done with a handsaw.

Draws have about 10 blind dovetails each side with very fine pins but again they look hand cut to me but maybe not.
    Handles look late 18th c but Im no expert

can’t find this style anywhere online

only have 2 pics at the mo but if people are interested will try and get some of the dovetails

Attached Files:

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Your photos are blurry, but from what I see it looks like a 20th century Continental European sideboard.
    It could be Iberian, but similar sideboards were made in Belgium and the Netherlands in the mid 20th century.
    Maybe more detailed photos will make me change my mind.:)

Figtree3 and Resident like this.
  3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Yep, pics not sufficient to tell anything. Even the wood is not clear. Does look a bit like oak but sometimes walnut has such open graining as well.

4. Resident

Resident New Member

Thanks, will get some more photos when I retrieve the drawers on Monday

Makes sense as the actual style of the whole piece looks modern to me, just the dovetails and hardware that seemed older, along with the story i was told of where it came from

saved from becoming firewood, just trying to work out whether it’s worth restoring or repurposing it, might be that the timber is worth more than the piece

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Some days it doesn't pay to try to fix them......:(

8E8319ED-D3F8-4AFF-A312-7F236CF9E458-DeNoiseAI-standard-gigapixel-low_res-scale-2_00x.jpg

A81C2176-A68B-4549-A055-087326814F00-DeNoiseAI-clear-gigapixel-standard-scale-2_00x.jpg

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

Looks like oak all right, but the hardware is the wrong one, and it would help to see the whole thing.

Resident likes this.
  7. Resident

Resident New Member

Yeah grain looks like oak to me but Im a simple chippy, don’t use any of the more fancy stuff that a joiner does, here’s some close ups of the top birdsmouths since the top was removed.
    Will get close ups of the draw joints tomorrow, tho i had a look and there’s 4 a side not 10 and they’re definitely hand cut.
    Could be the hardware was changed it’s been restored at some point as the shelves are pine, not original

Attached Files:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Resident

Resident New Member

Might be a bit before i get better pic of the whole thing, currently in my van and weighs about 90kg so need to recruit some help to get it out

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted