Featured Doulton plaques -- what to do?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kentworld, Mar 19, 2024.

1. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

So, I was remembering (or mis-remembering!) these plaques the other day. One of my lesser ebay buys from years ago. They are 7" long x 5.5" wide. They were obviously glued to something, but I've only soaked them in d/w liquid and warm water. That is not removing it. Also there are some odd discolourations on the fronts and one of them has a crack! (What possessed me to buy these??) I think they date from the 1890s to 1910-ish as the mark simply says "England" on the back. Are these candidates for that cleaning process with peroxide? (I can't remember it, but I know someone here does, LOL!) I've brought them out into the light now, so I feel obligated to "do" something.:D Doulton plaque .jpg Doulton plaque back.jpg

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@kentworld, If you could, closer images, and clearer, if you have a good camera, might help, but, what I could do is SO VERY NOT clear.....MY impression is that it's a Lion standing on top of a crown, with a braid of rope (3 'turns') above a Logo that is just about impossible for me to read.....that's what I come up with and it could be totally wrong, as the enlargement kind of makes it look like something else!!! Wish I could do better...........

TINY MARK.jpg

kentworld likes this.
  3. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

Mouth wash (diluted alcohol) might lift the adhesive. Failing that try acetone. Some may slaughter me for this advice but it works for me. Id be careful with peroxide near anything with pigment in it.

Figtree3, kentworld and Aquitaine like this.
  4. kentworld

@Aquitaine and @Ownedbybear
    Here are some further photos. One of the plaques is impressed Doulton as well as the backstamp and also there are -- I presume date marks? -- impressed as well. The one with mother and child is marked 5-02 and the other is 11-12. I have included closer photos of the strange staining -- like something was dripped accidentally on them. Anyone seen anything like that? I am now doubtful the staining can be rectified. DH probably has some solvent that will take off the glue on the backs. I'm still wondering why I bought these, but I'm now a dog with a bone!!:D Doulton plaque mark close up.jpg Doulton plaque date mark 1.jpg Doulton plaque date mark 2.jpg Doulton plaque stain 1 copy.jpg Doulton plaque stain 2.jpg

cxgirl and Figtree3 like this.
  5. kentworld

So, I recall thinking these would make good items for a first try at cleaning. I told you I am sometimes a dog with a bone...even if it takes decades, LOL! Here are a couple pix after a hot water and baking soda clean, which did more than I expected. Reading up, denture cleaner and regular peroxide may make a dent in those brown spots. From the impressed numbers, one was made in May 1902 and the other, November, 1912. Don't hold your breath folks, for the next installment because it may be next week or next decade! :hilarious:
    doulton plaque baking soda clean.jpg doulton plaque baking soda clean 1.jpg

cxgirl, Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  6. Sdcookie2

Sdcookie2 Well-Known Member

Go to Amazon and order 34% peroxide, soak for 24 hours. Dry the piece and set in your oven on warm for a few hours. This will take most of not all of the staining out. If not repeat the process. This is a little trick I learned in my pottery restoration school.

7. kentworld

Thanks, Komokwa! There seem to be several variations of cleaning with peroxide. Good thing I still have Amazon Prime for free shipping! ;)

8. kentworld

One month later... I did get some string peroxide cream and used it on the plaques. The result is pretty good. I had to do a bit of the lady with the guitar plaque a second time. It was quite easy to do. What am I going to do with them now?:D
    Doulton final resize.jpg

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

small wood frame...?

cxgirl, kentworld and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  10. kentworld

Thanks for the idea. Might be able to find some oval ones at a thrift!

cxgirl and komokwa like this.
  11. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

wow, what a difference, they look so much nicer now:)

Potteryplease and kentworld like this.
  12. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Great clean up job! Thanks so much for the update :)

kentworld and Potteryplease like this.
  13. Sdcookie2

Sdcookie2 Well-Known Member

Nice outcome

kentworld and Potteryplease like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted