Featured Doulton Lambeth flower pot

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by HRP, Jun 27, 2021.

1. HRP

HRP New Member

I was given this Doulton Lambeth flower pot by my grandmother. It is dated 1884 and has the 2 or 3 maker/artists marks of the following
    Eliza Simmance, Alice E. Groom and possibly another Mary/Margaret Aitken. please see the other photo showing these marks. Why is there 2-3 artists/makers?

The flower pot is around 18.5cm tall and 14cm diameter at the top. We have searched Google and cannot find any similar designs. Anyone able to help out with more information? Many thanks
    IMG_6204 copy.jpg IMG_6202 copy.jpg

2. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Bronwen, komokwa and HRP like this.
  3. HRP

HRP New Member

Thank you, so, how do we know which of the other artists created this piece, or did they all work on it with Eliza as the designer. There appears to be possibly 3 artists marks. The MA? .G. and M.

Is the 340, the number of this design made. Sorry for all the questions, just interested in the history.

komokwa likes this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

great photo's
    fine descriptions

NICE VASE !!!

Please feel free to post more antiques !!!!!!!!:):):)

Aquitaine, bluumz and HRP like this.
  5. komokwa

no apology required.....4 asking questions. !!!;) :happy::happy:

( just know.....all members are not here all the time......so it can take a couple of hours....or a few days....for all interested folks to chime in !!!!)

HRP likes this.
  6. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

HRP and bercrystal like this.
  7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi @HRP, and WELCOME!!! Great PHOTOS and BEAUTIFUL POT!!!!

HRP likes this.
  8. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Hello @HRP & welcome to the forum!! :happy::happy:

@Ownedbybear must be exhausted & has collapsed from this weekend's boot sales or I am sure she would have commented on this wonderful pot. ;):playful::playful: :happy::happy: :kiss:

I am sure she will pop in tomorrow when she has recovered as she loves to gaze on any & all Doulton Lambeth items. :D:D

Ownedbybear and HRP like this.
  9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

From the link Janet provided:

it is not uncommon to see her signature with that of three or four other artists under an item designed by her.

HRP, Aquitaine and komokwa like this.
  10. komokwa

many hands , make light work !!:hilarious::hilarious:

HRP, Aquitaine and Bronwen like this.
  11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

What? What?

I'm a Doulton Lambeth addict and admin a group. ;)

The main decorator would sometimes have done the more complex parts of a piece, carving, and so forth, as well as overseeing. It varied: the Barlow sisters and Tinworth, and Mark Marshall did the majority of a pot.

The subassistants, depending on their expertise, might have just done a bit of glazing, even. It was a true apprenticeship scheme.

Your lovely pot was made in 1884. The 340 is probably a design number. You've a total of no less than FOUR people worked on that. I've not seen that decoration either, but it's very aesthetic period.

I'll go fish out the Bible and check the marks.

12. HRP

HRP New Member

Thank you for your help. I look forward to hearing from you after you have consulted your bible!

13. Ownedbybear

Sorry to be so slow.

Yes, Eliza Simmance.

Mary Aitken, 1875 to 94 at Doulton. The G is Alice Groom, agreed. The m is Emily Mayes, first listed in 1882.

There's several Simmance designs in the book, not this one though.

HRP, komokwa and Bronwen like this.
  14. HRP

HRP New Member

Thank you for the information, it has been very helpful. Time to look into a valuation! I guess I will email the details that you have given along with the photos to some local auction houses. Not necessarily going to sell it!

15. Ownedbybear

There's an excellent Facebook group for Doulton Lambeth, they'll know.

HRP likes this.
  16. komokwa

don't u still like grandma..?:playful:

HRP likes this.
  17. HRP

HRP New Member

:D:D:D

komokwa likes this.
  18. HRP

HRP New Member

thank you I will look it up!