Douglas W. Reynolds piece?

Discussion in 'Art' started by DrChaos12, Mar 10, 2024.

1. DrChaos12

DrChaos12 New Member

Hi all, I have zero expertise in art but was curious about this piece I picked up in NC in 2011.
    The front doesn’t seem to be signed but the back frame is written as Reynolds, Douglas W. Meredith College Art Dept.
    Is there any value to this piece? How do I go about getting a valuation?
    Many thanks!

Attached Files:

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

3. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Found the man.
    IMG_4575.jpeg

Bronwen likes this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Given Meredith College is a women's school, likely Douglas W. Reynolds was on the faculty. Yep. Head of the Art Department. Here's his obituary. He doesn't appear to be a listed artist which means your work is worth what someone will pay for it. (I doubt that paying for an appraisal would benefit you.) Of course, to his surviving family, it may be priceless. Given Reynold's tenure at Meredith, your work dates to 1946-1957.

https://www.newspapers.com/article/daily-press-obituary-for-douglas-w-reyn/48559577/

Debora

Last edited: Mar 10, 2024
    mirana, Bronwen and wlwhittier like this.
  5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Its bizarre but I like that !

komokwa likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

IMG_5481-compressed.jpeg
    IMG_5481-compressed.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 10, 2024
    johnnycb09 likes this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

an evil jack in the box , torturing a woman.... the guy had issues...:inpain:

johnnycb09 likes this.
  8. Vfa

Vfa New Member

Scathing! I am his granddaughter, and can confirm the original post was his work. We are secure in the pieces we preserved as a family, being his best works.

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

@Vfa, my sincere apologies if you found them so but... My comments weren't intended to be scathing. In fact, if you read the above again, you'll note that I made no comment at all about the quality of your grandfather's work. I only pointed out that, because your grandfather wasn't a listed artist (i.e. included in standard reference books), there was unlikely to be an established sales record for his work and that values would depend on a piece's appeal to potential individual buyers.

Debora

916Bulldogs123 and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted