Dore Sevres plate, cherubs, 1900 triangle mark

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lucille.b, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I find that decorate plates aren't selling well, but decided to take a chance and purchased it when I looked up the Sevres mark (on my phone). 9.5 inches diameter.

Can anyone help me with keywords --would I call these "Cherubs"? "Angels"? Any other keywords about this plate, era, etc appreciated. Assuming this is hand painted. (...or?)

What do you think everyone is doing? One of the cherubs has a lit torch, the other .... is that musical instrument or hat? The third maybe a bow? One woman is looking over the woman who looks like she is breaking something open (fruit?) and something red is dripping out. At first I thought maybe her hands were just in that position, and the red dots were buttons, but the red is where her skin is, so think this is something coming out of whatever she broke.

Thanks for taking a look. dore1.jpg dore2.jpg dore4.jpg dore5.jpg

cxgirl and jackolin like this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Lovely plate ! I think that blue was popular in the 1870s or so . beautifully hand painted , pity folks dont appreciate quality much anymore .

Lucille.b and jackolin like this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I think it's a romantic theme. Surrounded by cupids, she's about to read a billet doux while her BFF looks on. One cupid lights the scene for easy reading, another loads his bow, and the third appears to be playing with her hat.

Aquitaine, Lucille.b and Bakersgma like this.
  4. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

That could be it. Love letter, everyone looking on. Thanks!

The day this showed up there were a number of R.S. Prussia plates, guessing from the same former owner. I had to show total restraint -- they were so decorative, $1.99 each, I could imagine using them to display chocolates at a potluck or something, but honestly no resale value. Also trying to downsize... So I passed on the lot, and checking back, noticed they sat on the shelf most of the week unsold.

Glad I got this one, though. I appreciate everyone who took a look. Other Sevres plates with this mark seem to be selling, so we'll see if someone likes this pattern.

Thanks!

5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

The three cherubs.....I was thinking Bow, Torch and Mandolin......and thought it might be a lover behind her looking over her shoulder while she reads something.... what.....not sure!!!

The one cherub playing with the woman's hat is also a strong possibility!!!

Lucille.b likes this.
  6. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I always think of calling them putti when cherubs are on porcelain.

Draft saved Draft deleted