Doggie figurine - is this worth selling?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KylieS, Oct 14, 2023.

1. KylieS

KylieS Well-Known Member

Hello all, just got this doggie in an auction lot in France. I know less than nothing about figurines of this kind, and it basically cost me nothing as I wanted the other pieces in the lot, so I was going to dispose of it cheaply.

However a quick image search matches to a Royal Copenhagen husky from late 19th C and the prices asked seem...surprising to me.

This one is not marked for Royal Copenhagen and my feeling is that the quality of the painting is not to that standard. But I can't help wondering what I have?

The mark is not a match for Capodimonte (sp?) but could be for one of several German manufacturers. Or a recent Chinese production.

Anyone have any thoughts for me? Honestly what I don't know about these figurines could fill a warehouse :arghh::facepalm:

Thanks for looking!
    20231013_150957.jpg 20231013_175514.jpg 20231013_175801.jpg 20231013_173444.jpg

2. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

I know as much about figurines as you, but that does not look like a Husky to me. Can you post the image of the one you found?

komokwa and KylieS like this.
  3. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Looks more like this (they refer to it as a German Spitz)

304004.jpg

4. KylieS

KylieS Well-Known Member

Thank you - yes that's the Royal Copenhagen one again, but I'm grateful to have the reference to the German Spitz doggo! The other one I saw they described as s husky, which didn't really make sense se given the time it was made ; )

To me the paint quality is nicer on the RC ones...

5. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

For me he is not a great figurine and I doubt that he would sell for more than £10

KylieS and moreotherstuff like this.
  6. KylieS

KylieS Well-Known Member

Thanks John! Just happy to have some expert eyes on this, I really have no idea. May I ask do you think German or Asia for the origin? Thank you again,

7. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I would think your little figurine is probably German but can't tell you specifically what factory. I've never been able to untangle the different German crown marks. The quality isn't bad but not the greatest. In the US it's been my experience that they only dog figurines I can sell reliably are marked Royal Copenhagen or Goebel. Anything else is breed specific with few selling for more than a couple of dollars.

KylieS likes this.
  8. Vintinella

Vintinella Member

The crown is also a part of the Dresden mark.
    I did think of Italian pottery also, of Capodimonte. Crowned N is for example connected to Italian Ginori, but also to German Ernst Bohne Söhne who did Capodimonte imitations :D

KylieS likes this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That does look like a capodimonte pseudo mark.

ola402 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted