Does this three-legged spool have a history behind it or is it modern

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Brian Warshaw, Jun 1, 2021.

1. Brian Warshaw

Brian Warshaw Well-Known Member

I bought this stool this afternoon for €4, with the intention of giving it to my daughter to paint and refashion; but looking on Google photos of 3-legged stools found that it has features not displayed by many of the stools I saw:

1 Turned legs of this design
    2 Only two leg cross-bars
    3 Circular grooves on the seat
    4 With some sort of provenance, what might it be worth, repaired, but left in the waxed state?

Does this stool have a history or is it modern? Can anyone call out the wood? Would it do better with the application of wax polish than with a brush of Dulux?

Height: 42 cm
    Seat diameter: 27 cm
    Spread of legs: 2 x 33 cm, 1 x 32 cm

Your guidance would be appreciated.

DSCF6682  lr.jpg

DSCF6689  lr.jpg

DSCF6691 lr.jpg

DSCF6695 lr.jpg

The following is the closest I found to mine; but a little shorter, I think? It was referred to as "Vintage Francais wooden stool", and they were asking €64 for it. There was also a 3-legged saddle stool that similarly had just two cross-bars.

Vintage stool 1 lr.jpg

Vintage stool 2 lr.jpg

Thank you.

2. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I can't help with any of your questions, but the stool is very attractive.

komokwa and Brian Warshaw like this.
  3. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

I would expect a utilitarian item to be more banged with age, so I’m guessing more inspired by an antique than a actual antique.

Brian Warshaw likes this.
  4. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

looks new. lathe turned.

Brian Warshaw likes this.
  5. Brian Warshaw

@Fid. I take your point, but wood turning lathes go back to back to 1,300 BCE to the Ancient Egyptians, albeit a little cruder than nowadays.

Fid likes this.
  6. Brian Warshaw

I think you are absolutely right; but I having trouble in locating photos of either the modern or ancient versions of similar designs.

7. mark737

mark737 Well-Known Member

The first one here is for sale on 1stDibs and described as: "A stylish wooden oak mid-century stool or side table. Bobbin style legs with nice circular rims to the top. France, c1950s". The second one says 19th Century English. There are plenty of examples online - try searching with key words "bobbin stool three". Bobbin.jpg Bobbin2.jpg

Fid and i need help like this.
  8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I am in the 50s or later crowd.

Brian Warshaw and Tanya like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted