Does it have collection value?

Discussion in 'Books' started by Romikon, Apr 7, 2022.

1. Romikon

Romikon New Member

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

maybe as a donation to a Shull ..

pearlsnblume, sabre123 and Fid like this.
  3. Born2it

Born2it Well-Known Member

4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

There are no other examples of this particular edition listed on the usual bookseller websites. I found 2 examples published by Vallentine in 1864, bound in fine green morocco leather.
    https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Se...sh Jews.&xdesc=off&xpod=off&yrh=1917&yrl=1864

Yours is a significantly later edition, and appears to be a different kind of leather. Yours notes it is a "pocket edition", but I am not able to compare the sizes as no one specifies the actual dimensions of their versions.

While not as numerous as Christian prayer books, there would have been many of these published in their day. It has been our experience as used booksellers, however, that there is little demand for such Jewish texts.

Darkwing Manor and Pat Dennis like this.
  5. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

"It has been our experience as used booksellers, however, that there is little demand for such Jewish texts."
    true.
    reminds me always of the story the Turkish owner of a second-hand shop told me when I asked about some similar in his shop. a nephew of him - freshly arrived from Turkey, not the sharpest knife in the drawer, not reading our script, a bit of German but not the local dialect - received a phone call from a Jewish home for the aged and was happy they offered him books for free...
    so he brought back approximately 300 kilograms of these and the shopowner made a roll backwards when he saw them. so they went directly to the waste incineration of the city - not for free of course, cost him quite a bit...
    and these books were from a home for people that came for the most part of the old European East ! not even those did them read anymore.
    from what I read about the Jewish communities in the States many leaders are complaining about the amount of mixed marriages these days because fearing a loss of tradition.
    but that's th same in Europe with the old Printing fonts - the young ones don't know and don't read them anymore.

2manybooks and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted