Featured Does anyone recognize this MCM lamp?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Carnivant, Aug 7, 2024.

1. Carnivant

Carnivant Active Member

Hello!

This is a lamp I picked up a couple years ago at a thrift store (without the shade). I really liked the design, and I thought it was distinctive enough for me to find something similar online; however, that has not been the case.

There are no markings on the lamp itself. The socket has the brand EAGLE. The base is wood, with the paint chipping away at the back (and the bottom is covered in felt, so no help there). And the shade is unrelated, but I thought it looked nice. :)

Any help would be appreciated!

20240807_163050.jpg 20240807_163113.jpg 20240807_163121.jpg 20240807_163258.jpg 20240807_163306.jpg 20240807_163222.jpg

LauraGarnet02, lovewrens and Bronwen like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Fun lamp. Shade a tad too small. You might want to keep your eye out for something of this shape.

Debora

s-l1600.png

3. Carnivant

Carnivant Active Member

Oh, if I found a shade like that at a thrift store, I would definitely buy it. Unfortunately, there never seems to be many nice shades like that.

I'm not too worried about this one being a tad too small though--if I can find a smaller harp, I think it will look better. That should be cheaper and easier to find, although I'm still looking for that as well, so who knows what will come first, at this point. x)

Potteryplease likes this.
  4. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 8, 2024
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

funny.....I thought that looked familiar ..:playful:

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  6. LauraGarnet02

@komokwa Any idea what those patterns are? Are they something native?

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Nope.....my recollection stems from living in Montreal, and spending summer & winter months in the Laurentien mountains as a kid...... where I'd see these designs all the time..
    I think we had a lamp of that sort in Trout Lake and friends had similar in Sainte-Agathe-Des-Monts.....

Any Jewelry and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I think generic mid century motifs, often inspired by pre-historic and African art. We saw similar motifs here in Europe.

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  9. LauraGarnet02

Oops. I accidentally got the screenshot of the Irene May Kominik info twice into the post I edited above. I don't think I'm going to try and fix it. I'll probably mess it up more than I did the first time, lol.

10. Carnivant

Carnivant Active Member

That's it! Definitely does look nicer with the burlap shade. Thank you very much!

LauraGarnet02 and Potteryplease like this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted